Suggestions for H4D camera strap

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael H. Cothran

Can anyone make any recommendations on a camera strap for the H4D? I've been considering one of the Black Rapid straps.
I've not opened the strap that came with the camera, but from past experience, I don't expect it to be much.

Greg

The included strap is specifically designed for the H camera.  I am very fussy about the possibility of scratching my camera, and so far the strap has not done any damage at all to the camera.  Derek is giving you good advice with which I fully concur.

Greg

Michael H. Cothran

The Black Rapid straps actually attach to the tripod socket. If you're unfamiliar with them, it might be worth a visit to their website.
http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-7/
There's a short video at the bottom of the screen.

The RS-7 is the one I'm most interested in. I've seen these in real life, and they are a league above anything else I've encountered in the way of camera straps, Hasselblad or not. They appear comfortable, cannot fall off, and the camera can instantly rise from resting on your hip to eye level shooting.

I don't like carrying the camera around my neck, hanging over my stomach like a tourist, and I don't like the lack of security slinging it over one shoulder.

I particularly like the fact that the Black Rapid strap hangs diagonally across your body - from left shoulder down to right hip. Perfect for the Hasselblad's handgrip. Weight is a big issue with the Hassy, and this strap coonfiguration seems to balance this weight better.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how a conventional strap could ever match up to this. But I guess that's why I'm asking.

Giorgio

Hi Michael,

This is just a suggestion, and probably out of the question for some shooters.
I use a mono pod and this, http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=10 long lens head in combination with an L bracket on the camera.
Just a thought, might not work for you. It works wonders for me.

Ciao,
Giorgio

Michael H. Cothran

Derek - I'd be most appreciative if you no longer responded to ANY of my posts.

One more thing - in my original post I DID state I was considering the Black Rapid straps. Had you known anything about them before your post you would have known that they attach to the tripod socket.

fotografz

It matters how you tend to work.

I have a Black Rapid strap ... however, I do not like using it with the H camera even though it can be swift in operation. The main reason is that it ties up the tripod/mono-pod mount. The way I tend to work is going from hand-held to mounted and back again during the process of a shoot. I also do not like the way the camera hangs upside down from this strap.

Because I need to quickly go from hand-held to mounted (mostly a mono-pod with the 120, 150 and 210), I looked for a solution that would allow both a hand strap (steady hand-holding), and a shoulder strap at the same time, while providing a ARCA type quick release plate.

I now use a Camdapter hand strap with one of their dual lug ARCA QR plates ... one lug on the QR plate is used to attach the hand-strap, and the other is used to attach the shoulder strap. The H camera then hangs sidewards so the bottom of the camera is against you and is less likely to get scuffed against buttons and such. Been using this for years now, and haven't found anything better yet.

Some people use a dual lug L bracket in the same manner ... I have one of those also, but prefer this solution. However, I also use a RRS HD mono-pod head that allows very sturdy portrait orientation without removing and flipping the camera, which is too slow for the type of work I tend to do.

-Marc