Question re 1.7 Teleconverter

Previous topic - Next topic

cerett

How well does the 1.7 teleconverter work with the 150 and 210 mm lenses in terms of image quality? Will I be disappointed? Thanks

Dustbak

It depends what you are going to use it for. When you are photographing strong 'backlit' situations (like white background stuff) you will notice a definite diminishing of your contrast. You can regain some of that in post but it does lessen your image quality.

If that is not the case it is remarkable how well the converter performs on the 150 (and on the 100 and 80). I have never tried the converter on the 210. I assume it will do just fine but I reckon an already slow AF on the 210 will not get any faster.

desertdiver

Cerett, I cannot comment on the 150-HC1.7x combo, but on the 210 it works pretty well, so well, that it can almost replace the 300. Yes, contrast is a tad lower, at least wide open, nothing to worry about, can easily be fixed in pp.
Regards, Udo

Drchevalier

I bought the 1.7x converter specifically to give me extra reach for birds on the 300mm.  Contrast drops when paired up but only marginally and is easily adjusted in post processing.  I am not festooned with multiple lenses and have never tried it with the 120mm (reach for the 300mm) in that case but I have no concerns or regrets with my purchase.  I confess that I find vendor delivered converters to typically be a good value for some extended reach when a dedicated lens is not cost effective, or available.