Circular Polariser w wide angle lenses

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacephoto

Hi, I am interested in trying Circular Polariser w H wide angle lens.

Does any one has any experience to share?

Thanks

davidthescot

I use them with care but not on the 28mm and possibly the 35mm as they render the sky in an odd sort of way akin to uneven vignetting. 

Michael H. Cothran

Agree. Great for anything down to a "normal" wide, maybe 50mm. Wider than that and you can get some pretty funky skies.

That said, if you're not including the sky, but need to minimize reflections on other subject matter, then you should be ok with any focal length. And even that said, you still might find stronger results in the middle than on the edges.

Jacephoto

Oh, thanks for the reply.

I am surprise at the results? I thot they do what polarizer on 35mm DSLR do...  ;D

Thanks for the tips :0

Michael H. Cothran

Quote from: Jacephoto on May 22, 2012, 12:26:38 AM
I am surprise at the results? I thot they do what polarizer on 35mm DSLR do...  ;D

They do!!

Put a polarizer on a super wide lens (24mm and wider) with a DSLR and you'll experience the same results in the sky.

Michael H. Cothran

Quote from: Derek Jecxz on May 22, 2012, 01:43:48 PM
I use a 95mm polariser on the 28mm (without UV filter) and I don't have any vignetting. However, I rarely use it. If you have issues, I think Lee Filters has a drop in polarizer (not sure).

;d

Derek - It's not the vignetting that's the issue, but the fact that with such a wide angle of view, only the center portion of the image gets fully polarized, while the edges do not. This can create a very unnatural looking sky. The wider the lens, the more pronounced this effect becomes.

Jacephoto

Thanks for the input everyone. Appreciate it. Am getting a CPL. Let me update my findings later.