GIL on the H4D 40

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I'm wondering if I'm the only user of the GIL on an H4D 40. I know that they aren't a large seller and would like to know if anyone else is using one on a 40.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

sns7000

Richard M

I have used the GIL on my H4D50 with mixed success. I have to forego the RRS L bracket because they don't both fit on the camera body together. Then occasionally the GIL doesn't receive a satellite signal. Which is frustrating. However when I do use it successfully I am glad I have one. However it is still more of a toy for me than something useful.
Regards
Richard

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Hi Richard, a bit of filing on the L bracket will let you have it on all the time. Here's a link with some piccies: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/18363-hassey-gps-locator-anyone-using.html

I like being able to give the coordinates to people who buy my images. I also include a screen grab of the Phocus Exif panel on the white area of a print.

I asked this question because i thought that the GIL was screwing my H4D around but things have progressed and it is no longer under suspicion.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Richard M

Thanks for the advice Jeff. I have now taken a file (or 2) to the L bracket and it all fits together very nicely. I've gone for practical rather than aesthetics so I'll not be posting any photos of the alteration but I appreciate the help.
Regards
Richard

Greg

You'd be surprised how much black automotive touch-up paint (found in fingernail polish style bottles) can do to hide and make a pretty good looking repair to bare metal .

Greg 

Drchevalier

May be sort of off topic but I use the iPhone app GeoTag photos to record my position over the course of an outdoor shoot, and then simple use the desktop / web software to update the files after the fact.  Not as fancy as the GIL but under $20.

Another option is to use the Map function in Lightroom 4 and apply the coordinates in Lightroom.  It's very easy and handy in case you forget to activate Geotag or leave the GIL off. 

It was however very useful to read that the RRS L bracket can be modified to accommodate the GIL.  Thanks!

Ross