The Alpa 12 MAX and Phase One IQ180

Previous topic - Next topic

mharvey65

Is this really the landscape photographers ultimate kit?

Is anyone using a Hasselblad back on an Alpa?

Is the IQ180 really as good as it makes out on Luminous Landscape.

I have a friend who is about to commit to the above purchase and I seem unable to deter him...

Help!

Michael
Hasselblad H4D50-ms
Hasselblad H3D-39 mk2
Phocus 2.6.5
iMac 27" 2012
OSx 10.7.2

KeithL

The most successful landscape photographer I know uses nothing more exotic than a Canon DSLR. Success as a landscape photographer really isn't dependant on camera choice.

Just saying...

GeorgeTelis

Great post Keith  :) Equipment does not make any difference.The best camera is the one that inspires you to work and the one that your hands and eyes are comfortable with. Many landscape photographers prefer 35mm DSLRs due to their versatility and speed and not for the quality. As for the Apla + hasselblad i haven't ever used such a combination but as far as i know the combination works like a charm but you have to work tethered.

Regards
George Telis

Dustbak

At the moment, if I would be in the market for an Alpa (or another tech camera for field use) I would certainly go for the IQ180.  At the moment there is IMO simply nothing that offers the same kind of usability as the IQ/Alpa combination in the Hasselblad product line. There still is no sign of the promised battery solution for the 60 which is long overdue. With this it might be another thing because I would not be limited to using the dreaded DF body.

mharvey65

Ray,

Thanks for your useful post.

I'm just going through all the things that the IQ180 will do...

Live preview on LCD display
Mosquito Focus Aid on LCD (parts of the picture that  are in focus flicker green) - useful for architectural cameras with tilt and shift
On-board power supply
Can be attached to an iPhone

Where are these features on my H4D-50ms?

m./
Hasselblad H4D50-ms
Hasselblad H3D-39 mk2
Phocus 2.6.5
iMac 27" 2012
OSx 10.7.2

fotografz

My bet would be that the 36 meg, FF Nikon D800 with Zeiss ZF lenses and/or a few T/S lenses will become the Landscape Shooters #1 choice in future.

MFD rules in specialty studio and for tethered location work, especially MFD Multi-Shot for static stuff.

But you start lugging this stuff up a mountain and for hours to parts unknown, then fiddle with a tech camera, and the little camera with high-res live view and all that, starts looking mighty attractive ... especially @ $3K.

-Marc