H3DII-39 + 50-110mm "Lens Error"

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Johnson-Laird

Has anyone experienced the dreaded "kerchunk-beep" Lens Error 21:1 (I think that's the number I saw). The kerchunk is the mirror, the beep is the error beep, followed by a black frame being displayed.

I tried power cycling the camera. No joy. Removing and reinstalling the lens (to clean the contacts). No joy. Remove grip battery. No joy. Removing grip battery AND lens. No joy.

So I behaved like this was all perfectly normal and planned, switched to the 200mm and carried on. No lens errors.

Twenty minutes later when I really needed the zoom, I thought I'd give it a try. Not a problem. No errors. Nada. Worked fine for the next 30 shots or so. Did I mention I hate intermittent problems?  ;)

To my tiny brain, this suggests that it's more likely to be the zoom lens than the body -- otherwise the fault would not have cleared when I went to the 200mm. Anyone had similar experiences that might tell me which bits I ask Hasselblad USA ot look at, please?

Thanks
Andy
Forensic Software Analyst : H4D-50, HTS and beaucoup HC lenses
Portland, Oregon, USA

Andy Johnson-Laird

Quote from: Derek Jecxz on October 31, 2008, 10:31:58 PM
Hi Andy,

In a word: Yes.
Strange to say, that wasn't the word I used when it happened.

Do you have the latest firmware? The frequency was reduced when I moved to the latest firmware in April or May.
I last upgraded from FC 4.8.5. Yeah...I know. I should probably have upgraded the firmware in 4.8.6.

The System Status screen shows:
Body 2.0.0
Mag  2.9.0
VF    1.0.2
Lens 13.0.0

Usage:
Body 815
Lens 581

But it still happens to me, usually when there is an urgent need to be timely with the camera.
Of course. As the Law of the Universe states: "Never let anything electromechanical know you're in a hurry."

It happens with any lens, last time, with the 35mm.
Hmmm. Never happens to me with the 35mm. Of course, owning a 35mm lens is probably a prerequisite there, I suspect.  :)
Nevertheless thanks for confirming "I am not alone!"

Regards
Andy

Portland, Oregon, USA

Andy Johnson-Laird

Just for the record, Per Holk and Paul Claesson have already responded and suggested I send the 50-100mm lens to NJ for a "turn your head and cough" checkup.

I know we have varied opinions on Hasselblad, but my experiences in terms of customer support have thus far been very good especially where Per and Paul have been involved.

Regards
Andy
Portland, Oregon, USA

Andy Johnson-Laird

Just to update: The 50-110 lens checked out ok, so I've been asked to send the body back to NJ. As I still have the original packaging, it seemed easier to send the 80mm lens, the body, the back and the view finder. Downside: the Fedex shipping plus insurance is $172. Whoof.

Anyway, Maryann Murphy said that she would expedite the turnaround as I happen to be in a quiet spell and don't need the camera for the next week.

Funny how you feel the need to use the camera when you don't have it, though.....oh well, back to the 1Ds Mk III. Still waiting for the 5D Mark II to show. ;)

Regards
Andy
Portland, Oregon, USA