What is up with Hasselblad?

Previous topic - Next topic

fotografz

Seems Hasselblad has gone "dark" ... for example, no info on the H4D/60 battery promised over a year ago ... which would allow use of the back on a tech camera (FYI, the Image Bank-II no longer works on the H4D/60 except for power (no capture).

Nada, nothing, zero rumors or real info. What's up? It's making me nervous ... LOL!

-Marc

Greg

Marc,

Since Christian Poulsen left, the company has gone dark.  For nine months from the time I ordered my H4D60 until it got to my dealer, I heard nothing of any consequence from the company.  The company reps tried to reassure me, but I got the feeling they were in the dark as much as I was.  The "news" listed on their website is pretty inconsequential and the bulletins are not much better.  Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the bulletins and the news on the website, but there is not much meat on those bones.  Sometimes I'm concerned that the company takes us for granted, and all the dollars we have invested in their equipment is water under the bridge for them.  Thankfully their repair facilities, company reps, and equipment are first class.  But I have been very vocal with my frustrations with the lack of information coming from Hasselblad.  I have burned up the e-mails with Gina and David on several occasions.  They are very gracious and helpful, but they can only do what the company allows them to do.

Thanks for bringing this up, because it has been a sore spot with me for a very long time.

Greg   

Dustbak

Friends of mine were the founders of one of the best Internet access providers over here. In the 'early days' the connectivity was amazing however with all things sometimes there were crashes or outages. During these days it could happen that when you would call the 'helpdesk' it was answered by someone really grumpy telling you to please hang up the phone and let them do their work so you would get access again sooner....

I think in the background work is done, I certainly hope so anyway :)

The battery solution which was only weeks away which is now months ago is a disconcerting sign however that deserves an explanation.

davidthescot

It's not just on the equipment side.  One minute Christian Tagliavini is hailed as a Hasselblad Master and then he is gone from the web sites with no explanation.

david distefano

do you think "phase one" and their iq 160 and 180 digital backs has hit hasselblad in the solar plexus and hasselblad is trying to figure out how to respond?

Greg

Quote from: david distefano on March 24, 2012, 04:06:53 PM
do you think "phase one" and their iq 160 and 180 digital backs has hit hasselblad in the solar plexus and hasselblad is trying to figure out how to respond?

In my opinion those backs are no great leap forward, and Hasselblad is still out in front with their overall lineup of equipment.  Twenty megapixels is no great leap forward, by any means, but it does give Phase bragging rights.  And, Hasselblad is losing out big time on the public relations front.  After discussion with Hasselblad representatives, it is my opinion that their own employees have tried to explain it to them, but the powers that be have been very stubborn on this.  I think it is some sort of mindset with management at Hasselblad.

Greg

david distefano

looking at the websites of both hasselblad and phase one, hasselblads website looks like it was designed 10 years ago. it doesn't ring with any life. phase one looks like a company going places. that doesn't make their product better but for a person looking to buy his or her first mf camera, first impressions can make a difference in what they purchase. and why couldn't hasselblad on their h4d backs go with a touch screen as well as the buttons like phase one did? everything today is touchscreen. if i read the owners manual properly their is no rgb histogram on the h4d. maybe these are some of the things that are bothering people about hasselblad today and for the future. somebody in the leadership capacity of hassalblad needs to take the bull by the horns and set the tone for the company and its customers and do it fast.

Alex Maxim

Maybe Hasselblad is trying to put every penny into the development of H5D while cutting funding on everything else?

Greg

Has anyone else noticed that Hasselblad has not put a news item on their website in over a month.  Most of the articles are self-serving anyway without a lot of meat on the bone, but "dark" seems to be the operative word for the company.  Is anyone else getting a little nervous?  And, yes, I know I can continue happily using my current equipment without any help from them, but we all need support for equipment repairs from time to time.   

Greg

hlop

Quote from: Greg on July 27, 2012, 11:58:13 AM
Has anyone else noticed that Hasselblad has not put a news item on their website in over a month.  Most of the articles are self-serving anyway without a lot of meat on the bone, but "dark" seems to be the operative word for the company.  Is anyone else getting a little nervous?  And, yes, I know I can continue happily using my current equipment without any help from them, but we all need support for equipment repairs from time to time. 

Hi All,

It's my first post here ...

Anyway, I spoke recently to Shriro guys here in Singapore (After Shriro sold Hasselblad they still have service contract for 5 years) and when I asked about what's going on and what are the plans on sales and support in the region, they told me that Hasselblad doesn't do well enough and definitely not in position to open new branches around the world and Shriro will continue sales and support

Cheers,
Mikhail

Paul Claesson

Quote from: Derek Jecxz on July 27, 2012, 02:06:16 PM
Hi Greg,

They laid off nearly 30 employees, roughly 1/2 the staff.

Hasselblad has hired numerous new employees at the factory in Sweden in all departments.
Paul Claesson
Orbitvu USA
Former Hasselblad Employee