Help with H4D AutoExposureCompenation

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael H. Cothran

My H4D turns one month old today. I am becoming more familiar with it, but need current help understanding the procedures behind using the AEC function.
Note - I don't need help understanding what AEC is. I need help figuring out how to actually use it, ie, turn it off and on, once the settings are saved. The couple of times I got it to work were by sheer luck.

Thanks.

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Michael H. Cothran

Thanks guys, but this part I'm ok with. In fact the rear wheel is how I've been making all my adjustments. However, my terminology is incorrect. I see now that what I'm confused over isn't the AEC, but Bracketing. Sorry about that.

I can set up the camera to take, say 5 exposures @ an EV1, from darkest to lightest, then save. But I get confused from there. There's a point after setting up the camera under Bracketing where the top of the grip screen says Off while the bottom says ON. Pressing the AF button reverses this. I don't know which is which, but one way seems to activate the bracketing sequence, while the other seems to turn it off. I'm trying to wrap my head around what is "off" and what is "on.".

Also, on my back screen, pressing the "i" button (after a successful bracketing sequence), the data indicates 0.0 EV compensation for each shot in the bracketing sequence. How can that be right? If I'm going from a +2 to a -2 in 5 shots, why doesn't this show up on the screen data?

Thanks for your help.

Michael H. Cothran

Guys - I think I've figured it out enough to be dangerous! Using auto bracketing in the field is something I will do most of the time. Hopefully, it will become easier with time.

One additional question - is there a short cut to turning on the auto bracketing (assuming you want to use the saved settings)?
Ok, two additional questions - is there a way to incorporate mirror up with bracketing in continuous drive?