AF Problem ID:82:1

Previous topic - Next topic

ckwong

Hi, new here.  Hope someone can help.

H3D39, phocus 2.6.0, MacPro, shooting tethered. Lots of connection problems.  I have more than a fair share of camera not seeing computer & vice versa, camera or phocus locks up when using body shutter release then phocus capture button, AF going haywire, etc.  Not unusal spending 1/3 of shooting session closing down sysyem, detaching back, detaching battery, change different firewires, reboot, explaining to client its a special characteristic of Hasselblad or any other back, trying to convince client to shoot with the D3X instead.

My latest:  when manual AF button (i.e. user button) pressed message "AF Problem ID:82:1" appeared on lcd screen and of course whole system locks up.  Tried other lenses, some less frequent then others. Tried cleaning contact points on body & lens, matter only become worse by the day.  Any suggestion anyone?  This D800 just seems more and more attractive by the day.

Tried phocus 2.6.3 or whatever is latest,  no deal.  My H1D22 worked without a single hiccup in its 3 year life though, thats why I sticked with H when upgrading.

Thanks lots.

Douglas Fairbank @ Classic V

Error 82 can be seen when there is a comms failure in the AF circuit. Is the firmware of the Body and Viewfinder and Digital Back up to date? Is there any damage to the tripod thread?
Owner of Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras. www.classicv.co.uk

ckwong

Hi Douglas,

Why tripod bushing? Anyway can't see any damage there. Although admittedly I lock the screws very tight with a Manfrotto vertical bracket cuz I seldom shoot horizontal. No idea why Hass has total disregard for shooting vertical while designing camera - different story here.  ... ck

NickT

Quote from: ckwong on March 08, 2012, 06:55:18 PM
Hi, new here.  Hope someone can help.

H3D39, phocus 2.6.0, MacPro, shooting tethered. Lots of connection problems.  I have more than a fair share of camera not seeing computer & vice versa, camera or phocus locks up when using body shutter release then phocus capture button, AF going haywire, etc.  Not unusal spending 1/3 of shooting session closing down sysyem, detaching back, detaching battery, change different firewires, reboot, explaining to client its a special characteristic of Hasselblad or any other back, trying to convince client to shoot with the D3X instead.

My latest:  when manual AF button (i.e. user button) pressed message "AF Problem ID:82:1" appeared on lcd screen and of course whole system locks up.  Tried other lenses, some less frequent then others. Tried cleaning contact points on body & lens, matter only become worse by the day.  Any suggestion anyone?  This D800 just seems more and more attractive by the day.

Tried phocus 2.6.3 or whatever is latest,  no deal.  My H1D22 worked without a single hiccup in its 3 year life though, thats why I sticked with H when upgrading.

Thanks lots.

Hi ck
Sorry to hear about your problems.
I have done a fair bit of trouble shooting in situations like this and the first thing is always to try and untangle all the problems to try and see what the real issue(s) is (are).

First off how is the camera untethered? Shoot a bunch of frames un-thethered and record any problems you are having.

This should help to isolate what problems are camera related and what are tethering related.

Here's a quick tip, before connecting the camera set up Phocus the way you want it then quit Phocus thus saving all your preferences, that way if you have a crash you won't lose your choice of shoot folder etc..

If you have identified a specific problem with the camera when untethered (say dodgy shutter release) tether the camera and see if you can shoot reliably with the AF turned off.

Report back here and we'll see if we can't get to the bottom of it.

BTW Mr Fairbank really know his stuff so if we say two different things Douglas is probably right :)

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

ckwong

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the suggestion. Shall try all these again but have tried many different approaches before.

The problem happens with AF either on or off.

If I use manual focus and use either body shutter button or phocus capture button and is successful,  then I can shoot for a while if I don't switch,  if I got itchy and switch, then maybe it shoots black frames, or just simply body crashes. Either the colorful wheel of fate will start spinning on screen & program won't quit requiring forced quit, or different things will appear on body lcd or back lcd, like communication problem, no back attached, no lens attached, camera disappears in phocus, etc

If I use User button in the process (manual focus) to activate AF, 7 times out of 10 this AF Problem  ID:82:1 would appear, and this whole process of force quitting, detaching back, detaching battery and rebooting has to be performed.  Can't even close down camera with the on/off button alone.

Camera & back has been factory overhauled.

Can anyone tell me what Problem ID 82:1 is?

Also Error Code 85:1 too?  Have seen this several times in other crashes but lately its 82:1, maybe it means "Terminal"?  ;D

Thanks,
CK

Error codes are like symptoms reported by the software, they do not tell you what the problem is and sadly there are no 'look up' tables that will tell you what fault will create each error, if only it was that easy.  ??? The most common cause of the 82 error report in my experience is damage to the tripod bush but not exclusively.

Error codes do not mean that the camera must be faulty, unexpected actions like turning the focus at the same time as using AF will create an error message that will be logged in the camera's memory without a pause in the shoot, it can then be retrieved any time in the future using the Hasselblad service software and the time and date of the incident is recorded. Some error reports might prompt you to restart the camera.

The camera's error log is like it's medical history and can be downloaded and stored when a camera is connected to the Hasselblad Service software.

You do not say if you have checked that you have the latest firmware and software, I cannot overstate how much time and trouble you might be able to save yourself by at least checking or better still reinstalling the firmware and software. Perhaps if you think of it as performing simple clean up routines on your computer it will help to explain things because each component of a Hasselblad camera is like the components in a computer network each with it's own intelligence and error logging software built in.

ckwong

Hi Douglas,

Thanks for your very knowledgeable & patient reply. I've always thought the error code would mean a specific symptom.

So when I set camera on MF, focused, then hit User to activate AF to check focus, is that a wrong procedure? It invariably cause the 82:1 crash to appear.

Also in a tethered situation I alternate between camera shutter button and phocus Capture control, and a crash occurs, is that normal? Or must I stick to one shutter release choice throughout a session until switch off?

Forgive my ignorance but I still bemoan the good ol days when a little jeweler's screw driver can solve all my shutter problems on my old Hassys.

Thanks again
CK

The issues you seem to be getting can't be resolved in a written conversation like this so please follow my advice and if it does not work get in touch with your local Hasselblad people. It does not sound like you are doing anything wrong.  :)

fogseller

hi to all! just in the middle of shooting i get this same error!!! this is the 4th time my h3dII camera need repair. i'm truly and deeply dissapointed with it. maybe its time to get rid of this and buy nikon d800 or anything else. just cannot stand to pay about 7000 euros just to send it for repair. can anyone tell me what this error mean. id 82:1... thank you!

fogseller

well its not 7000 euros but 1000 euros. anyway i'm mad :(