100mm F2.2 lens and the 1.7 Converter

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur

I've just purchased the H4D-40 with the 100mm F2.2 lens. The quality of the image is very important to me as is cost. Will the 1.7 converter attached to this lens produce as good an image as the 150mm F3.2 lens?

Many thanks, Arthur

Monty Rakusen

I should NOT think that the 100 with the tele will be as good as the 150. There will be lots more glass and you lose light. The loss of light might prove to be the biggest problem.
Saying that, I use the 100 with the 1.7 tele quite often and its an excellent combination in certain situations and the tele is an important part of my kit.
I cannot say how much it degrades the image but it produces excellent results and has a nice feel.

To sum up I would not wish to rely on a 100+1.7 combination and a 150 would be better but if you cant afford the 150 then this will do temporarily.

Monty

Arthur

Thanks Monty, that was roughly what I expected.  Arthur

Monty Rakusen

Glad to be of help.

The 40 is a smaller chip so that will be making your lens a little longer.

Can I say that the 100mm lens is the most amazing lens I've ever worked with in my whole career (excepting when I had a Contax rts with a little flat 35mm lens which I think was designed for war photography..loved that and then my 180mm Rollei lens to die for), for many years I used the 210 for corporate portraiture but the pictures often look detatched as I was so far away. The 100 gets you close and intimate but still shallow. Some projects I'll decide to shoot on 2.8 (anything less is asking for trouble) and this gives the pics a very fluid look but some times I'll decide f4 which is much more like eye sight. Main problem I have is reflecting back in their eyes! I'll have to get a black poncho! That'll scare em! Enjoy!