New LED screens on Macbook Pros Pro/Cons? Calibration?

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Housel

Hi All,

The new 15" Macbook Pros were announced today with LED screens. I was just wondering if these new screens will be a nightmare to calibrate? Anyone already using one? How do they compare?

Alan Housel

Charlottesville, Virginia

alexkent

the previous generation of MacbookPro's also had an LED backlit display, i don't think there has been any significant changes here.
in my own experience the LED backlit displays (in the previous MBP) have been the best laptop displays i've ever seen.

rob galbraith's site has an article about calibrating them, the gist is; they're good.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-8741-9027

the only possible concern with the new MBP display is that there is no matte option. i personally like the glossy, but i know some people prefer matte.

the slightly bigger concern with today's announcements are the changes in firewire support;
the new MacBookPro only has FW800 (time to get some new FW800 - FW800 cables) and the new MacBook doesn't have FW at all!
so err, no small laptop option any more, the 15" MacBookPro is all you can plug your camera into!

alex.

Alan Housel

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the info! I noticed the firewire issue and was concerned about it. I found an adapter to dumb down a FW800 to a FW400 for under $20. Anyone know if it will work with the ixpress backs with ye ole FW400 connection? I know it will in theory, but you know how that goes...

Alan Housel

C'ville, Virginia

alexkent

a FW800 to FW400 cable should work fine.
i haven't actually tried this (with a new MBP), but since i've been using an H2D (FW800) attached to my old Macbookpro (FW400) with this type of cable for the last couple of years i'm pretty confident it'll work.