Which graphic card?

Previous topic - Next topic

aikbo

I noticed that phocus really needs time to process the images. I wonder if a different graphics card will improve performance? Will you notice it? and if so, which card would you recommend?

My set up is:
MAC 2x2.26 GHz Quad Core intel Xeon
12 GB 1066 MHz DDR 3 memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphic card
Phocus: 2.6.4

Dustbak

Get the ATI5770. You will notice the difference. Not necessarily in processing your files but in working with Phocus it makes a world of difference.

aikbo

Dustbak

If you want processing files from RAW to Tiff to go faster there are some other things you can do;

1) Get faster processors (I just bought some Xeons 5570 to upgrade my 2009MacPro, the 2.93Ghz quad core). There is even a tweak to put 6-core processors in your 2009MacPro.
2) Get faster disks, preferably RAID0. I am haggling over putting 4 SSD drives in RAID0 with an Areca1880. This would become my work volume.
3) Get more memory. 24Gb is enough. (I am selling my 24Gb's since I got 48Gb now).

It is amazing how much you can upgrade your machine (I have the same and have done some serious upgrading already)

aikbo

I looked at the ATI 5770. The apple store claims i should buy a ATI 5870 because my machine is build in 2009. The price difference between ATI 5770 and 5870 is considerable, I did not notice any performance difference on the site. Do you now more about the difference between the two cards?

I might be interested in the extra memory, how many slots would it need (8?)

Dustbak

You can use both. Without issues. The 5870 is an even more potent card however I find the price difference is not reflecting the performance difference.

aikbo

:D The ATI 5770 really improved speed working with phocus. Recommended :D

Monty Rakusen

Does anyone know if the 4870 is acceptable?
Monty