Spec for new Mac Pro

Previous topic - Next topic

Monty Rakusen

Can anyone advise me on the correct spec for a new Mac Pro. I'm fed up of graphics card crashes. I'll be using two monitors, one being a cheap Samsung for tools. Need to run Phocus and CS5. I shall be leasing it over 24months at approx £178.20 pm at that I'd own it at the end. I have a Laser printer finishing soon so it releases some funds. I believe there is a new machine coming out so I may have to hold on for a while.

Any thoughts appreciated

Monty Rakusen

Mac Pro

Part number: Z0LG
Configuration
Two 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Westmere" (8 cores)
12 GB (6 x 2 GB)
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
Two ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
One 18x SuperDrive
Magic Mouse
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (British) & User's Guide (English)
Country Kit

£3,055.01   

27" Apple LED Cinema display
£765.00   

alexkent

all sounds good
only thing, i would drop the second ATI Radeon HD 5770, as one of those cards will happily drive both monitors.

alex.

David Grover

Are you buying the Ram from Apple?

Might be cheaper at crucial.com

Also, do you really want the Apple Monitor?

Monty Rakusen

OK thats good, I was just being paranoid about the graphics card....but are you sure? :)
Yes the RAM would be cheaper at Crucial...I'll look into that.
I could get an NEC monitor as they are clients of mine.

Anyone know of the rumours of a new version?

Monty

davidthescot

There is a very strong rumour/story reported in current Mac magazines that a new updated Macpro will be announced by Apple very soon.

Look here - http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/11/new-mac-pros-and-macbook-airs-to-launch-this-week-with-os-x-lion/

jonathan.lipkin

macrumors.com thinks there will be a new model soon:

Recommendation
Don't Buy - Updates soon
Last Release
July 27, 2010
Days Since Update
357 (Avg = 259)

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

bzb

6 Cores with 3x4 GB are faster than 8 cores for photoshop cs5:
http://macperformanceguide.com/index_topics.html

and use an owc ssd for system-drive... much faster

Dustbak

I would certainly get the NEC monitor instead of the Apple. I have gotten rid of the ACD in favor of the 30" Eizo screen. At first you have to get used to the screen. Everything seems to be less vibrant and contrasty but after a while you notice you see much more detail, transitions & colors are much better. Get the NEC Spectraview reference if you can (the one with the hardware calibration, LUT).

I would also skip on the second 5770 but get a 5870 instead which you will enjoy much more, especially with Phocus.

I would also get a SSD for the OS and put the 3 (but more likely 4) 'regular' drives in RAID0 mode for performance as my working volume (in that case get a good backup too).

I am waiting for the next MacPro. Rumors are it is very nearby but last time I was waiting for that it took another 6 months to materialize. I am not in a rush though, my current 2009model is potent enough.

TareqPhoto

Very nice thread as i am looking for getting Mac Pro in the future, but i really not sure which core i should get, i heard that 6 will be better than 8, and now there is 12 cores, so which one i should get?
Also how much ram i should go with, 6 or 12? if i get that 6GB RAM, can i upgrade it to 12 [add 6GB later]? And about Graphics card, should i get a specific GC or any of those recent cards are sufficient and can do the job flawlessly? I really don't know about the best performances as not always going for highest values will be the best idea, so if that is true then that may save bucks than going for highest specifications and found out it is not the best solution, so what Mac Pro specifications i should go with and it will be great for Photoshop and Phocus and most photography editing softwares? I was thinking about video but i have a feeling that i will not work with video sooner or later much enough.
I have 2 monitors already.