strange connection problem between image bank and pc

Previous topic - Next topic

allari

Hello,
I am having a problem with the 20GByte image bank of my ixpress 96c system.
A strange problem.
The image bank works fine with the back: I can take pictures and they are correctly stored in the image bank. I can review them from the back, navigate, erase,... everything OK.
BUT...
when I connect the image bank to the pc (with Windows XP and Flexcolor 4.8.8 installed), the PC does not even notice that the device has been attached (however, the image bank without battery turns on with green light, so power transmission is ok). The firewire cable seems to be fine, as another image bank connects correctly.
Could that be due to the image bank firewire controller? Or what else?
Any ideas - suggestions?
Thank You
Stefano Allari 

NickT

Is the firewire on your PC powered?
If so can you shoot without battery attached but getting power from the firewire?

I think your guess is probably right, that the firewire board in the Image bank is failing.

If you need the images off the bank it is pretty trivial to swap the hard drive over..

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

allari

Quote from: NickT on July 08, 2011, 08:26:33 AM
Is the firewire on your PC powered?
If so can you shoot without battery attached but getting power from the firewire?

I think your guess is probably right, that the firewire board in the Image bank is failing.

If you need the images off the bank it is pretty trivial to swap the hard drive over..

Nick-T

Thank You Nick,
yes, the firewire is powered and I can shoot without battery attached.

The idea to swap the hard drive is good, but I currently do not have another image bank working to do that. Do you think it would be possible to load the images from the hard drive directly to a computer (from what I understand, the hard drive is a 2" unit with IDE connector...)?
Thank You
Stefano

NickT

Quote from: allari on July 11, 2011, 11:37:34 AM
I currently do not have another image bank working to do that. Do you think it would be possible to load the images from the hard drive directly to a computer (from what I understand, the hard drive is a 2" unit with IDE connector...)?
Thank You
Stefano

The short answer is no..

The Image Bank is formatted in a very specific way (partitioned into 1125 drives effectively), I suppose it might mount on a PC (as 1125 hard drives!) but I doubt it.

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

H3dfan

Probably the software is acting strange. You can try this:
Resetting the Image Bank
Restoring Firmware
Firmware to control the operation of the Ixpress is stored on the Image Bank. This
firmware is updated automatically through FlexColor when new software versions are
released.
It is also possible to manually force the firmware to be loaded to the Image Bank if you
are experiencing technical issues. This operation will normally have to be done if the
LED on the image bank is showing RED or is not be recognised by FlexColor
1\ With nothing attached to the Image Bank and with FlexColor NOT running press and
hold in the power button on the Image Bank
2\ Continuing to hold in the power button, attach the Image Bank to your computer and
wait until the LED turns red.
3\ It is now safe to release the power button. The Image Bank is now in 'Boot Mode'
4\ Launch FlexColor and wait until the firmware has been updated, indicated by the
dialogue on screen.
5\ Quit FlexColor and unplug the Image Bank
The Image Bank is now ready for use.
Restoring Calibration Files
An EPROM in the Ixpress Back contains two calibration files which are essential for the
captured images to be handled correctly by FlexColor.
The first time the Back is connected to the Image Bank these two files are downloaded.
The dialogue 'Transferring Data to Bank' is shown on the LCD display on the back. In
turn when the Image Bank is first connected to FlexColor the two calibration files are
downloaded to the 'Devices' folder in the FlexColor application folder.
If the two files become corrupted then this can result in column errors (single pixel lines
running vertically in the image) or odd coloured or missing pixels.
1\ Connect the Image Bank and launch FlexColor. Highlight one image in the 'Ixpress
Contents Window', hold down SHIFT and OPTION and click on 'Delete'. A warning
dialogue will be shown stating that all the images will be removed from the Image Bank,
and is irreversible.
2\ Choose 'Delete All' and then click on 'Update'. The contents window should now be
empty. Quit FlexColor.
3\ Connect he Ixpress Back to the Image Bank. The dialogue 'Transferring Data to
Bank' should be shown, otherwise repeat step 1.
4\ Launch FlexColor. Check to see if the correct camera body is selected in the
FlexColor preferences menu.
5\ Wait until the dialogue 'Reading Calibration Data' has completed
The Ixpress has now been reset to factory conditions.

H3dfan

However, I had two banks were the connector that  goes from the electronics in the bank to the HD got loose. You simply have to unscrew the 4 screws on the back and carefully open the casing( nothing can go wrong here), the check the cable. ( i did this yesterday after a bank fall on the floor and stopped working).
Before doing so you can listen if you hear a hard disk spinning inside. If not, the connector might be loosened.
Good luck.

allari

Quote from: H3dfan on July 11, 2011, 07:47:03 PM
However, I had two banks were the connector that  goes from the electronics in the bank to the HD got loose. You simply have to unscrew the 4 screws on the back and carefully open the casing( nothing can go wrong here), the check the cable. ( i did this yesterday after a bank fall on the floor and stopped working).
Before doing so you can listen if you hear a hard disk spinning inside. If not, the connector might be loosened.
Good luck.
I checked this and everything looks fine inside. On the other hand, the image bank works fine when connected stand-alone with the ixpress back, so the hard drive seems to be connected and works fine. I will try the other procedure you suggest, thank You.