Windows 7 Firewire problems Solution

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Maxim

I thought I'd make it a separate thread.

If anyone running Windows 7 and has occasional firewire problems, here is a possible solution:

Change your Firewire device drivers to Legacy.

To do so,
- go to Device Manager
- open IEEE1394 Bus host controllers
- select the controller in question. If you have more than one, you might want to do it for all of them.
- enter properties/driver, select Update Driver
- select Browse My computer...
- select Let me pick...
- chose '1394 OHCI Compliand Host Controller (Legacy)'
- restart the computer and try the connection now

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Alex

stephanbruehl

Thanks Alex !!    It finally works.  

May I add an information in German for German speaking users, because the driver name in German is slightly different (there is no "Legacy" version):

- Geräte-Manager aufrufen, FireWire Controller anklicken
- Treiber aktualisieren anklicken
- Auf dem Computer nach Treibersoftware suchen
- Aus einer Liste von Gerätetreibern auf dem Computer auswählen. Es erscheint:

OHCI-konformer 1394-Hostcontroller
OHCI-konformer 1394-Hostcontroller (alt)
OHCI-konformer Texas Instruments 1394-Hostcontroller

Von diesen 'OHCI-konformer 1394-Hostcontroller (alt)' wählen (alt heisst hier alternativ).  Dies entspricht der englischsprachigen Bezeichnung "Legacy".
Die Treiber zeigen keine verschiedenen Versionsnummern oder Dateinamen in den Treiber-Details. Man kann sie nur anhand der Beschreibung im Geräte-Manager unterscheiden. Der Hostcontroller muss also im Geräte-Manager den Zusatz (alt) haben (englisch legacy).

Thanks, and best regards

Stephan

Alex Maxim

Hi Stephan,

you are welcome. I am happy it helped.
Thanks for the German version!

Alex

Photo Dave

Hello

There is another way of finding the correct driver.

Please see the Hasselbuddy guide attached.

This works for Windows 7 & XP.

pchong

thanks CameraFocus, tried to do so, but I don't have a folder called "Other devices".

Photo Dave

Quote from: pchong on May 16, 2011, 10:42:05 PM
thanks CameraFocus, tried to do so, but I don't have a folder called "Other devices".

It may also be found under the Imaging Devices section or IEEE1394.

stephanbruehl

Quote from: Hasselbuddy UK on May 16, 2011, 10:14:24 PM
Hello

I just tried this way but it doesn't work. If I choose the search folder "C:\Program Files\Hasselblad\Phocus 2.6.1\Inf" for an update, then nothing happens. I just get the message that the driver is already "up to date", irrespective of the actual driver installed (whether Legacy or not Legacy).

Or is it necessary to have the camera connected ??  I just chose the 1394-controller in the device manager like Alex suggested, since the camera was not connected.

Stephan

Photo Dave

Quote from: stephanbruehl on May 17, 2011, 01:52:27 AM
Quote from: Hasselbuddy UK on May 16, 2011, 10:14:24 PM
Hello

I just tried this way but it doesn't work. If I choose the search folder "C:\Program Files\Hasselblad\Phocus 2.6.1\Inf" for an update, then nothing happens. I just get the message that the driver is already "up to date", irrespective of the actual driver installed (whether Legacy or not Legacy).

Or is it necessary to have the camera connected ??  I just chose the 1394-controller in the device manager like Alex suggested, since the camera was not connected.

Stephan

The camera does need to be connected. This is for the camera driver & not the firewire card drivers.

stephanbruehl

Is it then necessary to implement both drivers correctly in individual steps, or will the 1394 driver automatically be updated when the camera is connected ?? 

The necessary installation of the so called Firewire "Legacy" version to avoid problems under Windows 7 seems to be a common subject which is not connected to Hasselblad or Phocus, because I found the discussion of the problem in various forums which do not deal with digital photography.

Best, Stephan.

stephanbruehl

just another remark:

Why is there no information in the Phocus Manual about possible problems, if there is a driver incorporated in the software ????????????

Photo Dave

Quote from: stephanbruehl on May 17, 2011, 02:35:13 AM
Is it then necessary to implement both drivers correctly in individual steps, or will the 1394 driver automatically be updated when the camera is connected ?? 

The necessary installation of the so called Firewire "Legacy" version to avoid problems under Windows 7 seems to be a common subject which is not connected to Hasselblad or Phocus, because I found the discussion of the problem in various forums which do not deal with digital photography.

Best, Stephan.

The Legacy driver is for your computers hardware setup within windows & is not directly linked to the Hasselblad camera or Phocus software.

Windows should connect correctly to the camera when the camera is attached. I have found that windows doesn't all ways select the correct camera driver. This is when the Hasselbuddy guide becomes helpful.
There should be no need to manually select the driver in the Phocus folder but some of the recent windows updates have meant that the driver could need updating.

David  

stephanbruehl

Thank you for the explanation, David.  :)

Anyhow, it seems good to me to include your observations in the next Phocus Manual, so that people know what to do if problems occur (not every Hasselblad user is a member of this forum).

Best, Stephan.