HC 3.5/50 II

Previous topic - Next topic

QDFB

It is a complete redesign of the original 50mm F/3.5.  I took delivery on mine a few days ago and I can confirm it is significantly sharper accross the frame, but especially at the edges, when compared to the original version.

Physically it looks identical, save for a discrete "II" after the "HC 50".

worthy upgrade.

Quentin

Fotograf

Got mine today - HOLY SHIT !

I never had before a lens with such a front focus: open soft at focused distance of 50 meters but sharp at 10 meters !!!

But what was more disappointing: at f11/f16 the 50mm II was as sharp as my 50-110mm (which really is a perfect sharp lens) even in the edges of full frame (60 mpx) - absolutely no advantage for the 50mm.

QDFB

You must have a duff copy.  I don't have any issues with mine.

Fotograf

Today I got the 50mm back (repaired). Autofocus is much better now, but not hitting the perfect distance always, I think the 50-110@50's autofocus is a little bit better.

Sharpness in the center is already open good and at 5.6 excellent, also the corners are really good from 8 to 16. Compared to the 50-110@50 the same sharpness is achieved one stop earlier, but final sharpness is very similar (center and corners). The contrast - so far my testing - is remarkable better with the HC 3.5/50 II.

I will follow up with some test pic

JV

Just wondering whether there was some more follow-up on this after 4 months of use...

Ralf Mueller

Hmmh, no images taken with the HC 3.5/50 II ?

Mine has become the most used lens on my HB and is rock solid (so to speak)

Cheers,
Ralf

hamishhamilton

Just got one and it is amazing. Awesome contrast, extremely sharp wide open and more than I could ask for.

Giorgio

Hey,
Please post samples shot with the HC 50II , I for one am looking for images shot with this new lens.
Thank you...

bdp

I love this lens. Borrowed one for an interiors shoot and it is such a nice focal length with the 40MP chip, so now I own one. Can't comment on the corners on the wider chips, but on the 31 and 40 it is very sharp.

Ben

Giorgio

Thanks Ben!

I am seeing the bike wheel slightly out of round, I am assuming a full frame is being shown shot vertical from your camera?

Which camera did you use?

Any more images?

bdp

Hi Giorgio,

Yes, it's a full frame vertical shot. the bike was leaning against the wall so I suppose that may make it look a little odd. It was shot with the H5D-40.I'll see if I have any more images from that shoot to post.

Ben

NickT

Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

bdp

;D

Yep, that's my morning routine - check news, forums, photorumors.com etc over a coffee!

tino999

Anybody able to compare it with the 35-50mm at f4.5(or whatever is the open aperture on the zoom)?

Giorgio

Hey Tino,

I had the 35/90 zoom and now own the new HC50II lens.

No comparison the HC50II is a better lens for me, and as wide as I ever need to go. Also a consideration was the fact that the zoom does not cover my camera sensor (60) edge to edge.

But I shoot people as my subject matter so your needs may vary.

Every time I get to use my HC50II I smile, nice lens.