Phocus File Naming

Previous topic - Next topic

Archives

Just wondering if anyone has come across any difficulties with naming files in Phocus? 

I'd just like to name the file once and without any sequence numbers attached but whenever I use Phocus it always insists on attaching an automatic sequence or raw number to the end of the file name. 

I've tried changing all of the preferences and settings but I just can't seem to find a way to simply name a file the way I want and not have to bother about going back in and renaming it again -  I know you can rename the thumbnails whatever you like but when I go to export the file from Phocus, it simply asks me to name the file again. 

Does anyone know of a way you can get around this?

Cheers,
Cara

NickT

Hi Cara and welcome to the group.
The raw files will always need a numeric sequence in the name so that the file names are unique. When you go to export/save you can choose from a bunch of name presets, such as "raw name plus date" if you just want to give the file a new name choose "job" and type in the new name.
Hope that helps
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

robertpoll

Hi Cara,

Are you saying that you want the exported file to have the same name as the raw: i.e. you shoot job1_0001 through job1_0010 as raw files. You then select job1_0002 and job1_0003 to export and you want to keep the same names? If so you can do this by selecting the (confusingly named) preset 'Name_Raw Sequence' ignore the 'Sequence from' box - it doesn't matter what you have there. You'll then get two tif files with the same name as the raw files.

The preset would be better named 'Keep Raw Filenames' of something. Guess you could copy it and change the name if you wanted.

...rob
robert poll photography | www.robertpoll.com | +44(0) 7768 466663

Archives

Thanks very much all your help and feedback, it's very much appreciated.  Yes, I'd like the exported file to have the same name as the raw - if I could firstly name the file how I want, without the software automatically adding numbers or dates.  I guess I was expecting Phocus to be a bit more similar to the way Capture One operates in that yes, it attaches a raw number if you haven't already preset the file name but you also have the option of specifically naming each file as you go along - this name is then simply carried across when you want to export your files.

I do a lot of copying work of unique artworks and historical items so I don't usually want sequence/batch numbers attached to the end of each file and it's quite integral to the efficiency of my workflow to be able to name each file as you go along and then not have to worry about ever having to go back and rename the files again.  The only way I seem to be able to individually name each file efficiently is to sit down at the end of the shoot and painstakingly get the original back out, check it's the right image and rename each image independently -  the only other option appears to be exporting each file individually as soon as it's been shot and then adding the name but this isn't very efficient either.  I can appreciate why raw files will always need a numeric sequence number but I must admit I'm still at a bit of a loss as to why if you rename a thumbnail it doesn't keep that name, it simply asks you to rename the file again when you export but maybe I'm just missing something simple   ???

Cara   

robertpoll

Hi Cara,

I see what you mean now. To fix the export problem I think you just need to create a new name preset with just 'Raw Name' selected. In the export dialogue box click 'Edit' next to the Name Preset. Click the + to add a new preset and give it a name. Then Select just 'Raw Name' in the template box. You can then select this name preset and your TIF will have exactly the same name as your fff. The only thing to note is that if your chosen name has an underbar followed by a number (e.g. _1234) it assumes this is the sequence and strips it off.

I haven't tried this, but to capture without a sequence it looks like you can do something similar. In the Job Info section of the toolbar as part of the File Name menu there is an Edit option (at the top). Click the + to add a new preset, name it and then change the Template to 'Job Name'. The I think your captured file will be called whatever you put in the Name box. Obviously though if you then try to shoot two images without deleting the first, or picking a different name it will be a problem - I think in this case Phocus will make the name unique by adding a number.

Hope this helps,

...rob
robert poll photography | www.robertpoll.com | +44(0) 7768 466663

Archives

Fantastic Rob... I thought I was starting to loose my mind  ::)

That's just what I was after, I'm now able to change names via the job info tab or the image thumbnails with no troubles.  Thanks ever so much for everyon'es help, you've got some great people on this forum.

Best wishes,
Cara