CF39 gives garbage in initial preview

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustbak

Before I start worrying I thought I would ask here. Recently (I think after starting to use Phocus but am not sure) my CF39 starting to give a totally streaky (magenta/red/etc.. streaks) image as an initial preview. The image itself turns up normally eventually.

I had this happen with Flexcolor & Phocus. Initially I thought it might be a bad firewire connection and replaced the cable, swapped the computer, etc.. However today I worked on CF card and got the same thing on my tiny LCD display. I take a shot, the preview is garbage for a couple of seconds before the actual image is there which turns out ok.

Now, this is at best really annoying. Especially when you are working tethered with clients looking over your shoulder. I normally could at least judge composition immediately after taking a shot now I have rubbish for a couple of seconds.

Anyone any idea what it is and how I can get rid of it?

Thx!

Dustbak

Now, this is weird. Suddenly it is back to normal  ??? ??? ??? Apparently it comes and goes  ??? ??? ???

Should I be worried?

alexjones

Mine always comes in initially a little off.  Never that serious from the description. Color may be a touch off and lower res.  But quickly comes together.  For what it's worth.  CF39II Flex 4.8.4

robertpoll

sounds very like somehthing I saw just once was an h3d/39 but not sure whether that makes any difference. If I remember correctly though the actual images as well as the previews were affected.  I was shooting to card on a VERY low battery and I put it down to not enough power. I always make sure to change the battery sooner rather than later now and haven't seen it again. Sounds like you're shooting tethered though so I wonder whether the computer is providing enough power?

...rob
robert poll photography | www.robertpoll.com | +44(0) 7768 466663

Dustbak

Well, I thought something similar until I found out it also happens while shooting to CF cards (no computer involved, just the processing of the back itself). The last time I checked BTW it was gone! I will check again tomorrow to see if it has returned.

It normally turns up the way Alex describes, a bit off color and lesser resolution.

Dustbak

An udate on the garbage preview phenomena; It comes and goes. I normally shoot for about 10minutes in which every preview turns up garbage magenta/yellow/etc.. streaks, then suddenly it is normal again and most of the time stays that way. Until yesterday when it went to garbage again after about 2hours.

Nobody any ideas?

robertpoll

Sounds like it's broken to me - I'd go back to Hasselblad I think.
robert poll photography | www.robertpoll.com | +44(0) 7768 466663

Dustbak

I received a RMA number from Hasselblad a few days ago. The back will be on its way to Denmark on monday. I will let you guys know what was wrong with it when I know more.

Dustbak

I got the back back from Denmark. The problem turned out to be a broken DSP board (digital signal processor) that needed replacement. Pretty costly affair unfortunately but sofar it seems to be working fine again. No more garbaged previews.

I have not yet had the time to check upon the other problem I had, a thin grey line when doing high contrast shots (typically stuff on white backgrounds) but this was one of my complaints and I am pretty sure Hasselblad took care of that as well.

I am very content with the level of support and help I received from Hasselblad USA and the factory in Denmark.