Worth the $? Dual Quad core

Previous topic - Next topic

guvnah

Hi All,

Time for another computer and wondering how much faster the Mac Pro dual quad 3.2 is vs. the 2.8  The price is considerably more ($1600 USD). 

Thanks,

Michael

rsmphoto

Can't personally comment on performance of 3.2 vs 2.8, but I've been working on a 2.8 Dual Quad w/10GB of RAM for some months now, working on 16bit files from an H3DII-39, and I have no complaints. No more finger drumming as the wheel spins.

Some actual numbers are here at Barefeats.com

http://www.barefeats.com/harper.html

guvnah

Tim Read

Pretty much the same spec 2.8 quad core with 10Gb of ram however I upgraded the graphics for the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB as this card is supposed work better with Phocus.  Although I'm not convinced about that as I have yet to get Phocus to work consistently without crashing.  Not shooting with the 39m back but using multiple layers and it flies fast enough for me especially in comparison with my creaky old G5 dual processor (which I thought was the greatest thing since sliced bread when I first bought it.

regards
Tim

NickT

Hey Tim
I have the exact same setup as you (only 6 gig ram tho') and Phocus is running fine, can you give some details please?

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Tim Read

Hi Nick

It's been sometime since my last attempt, however from what I can recall Phocus slunk off with it's tail between it's legs after I closed down live video.  It did start again but by that time I had lost the will to use it. I was shooting with the Ixpress 384, which has been rock solid with every incarnation of Flexcolor.

regards
Tim

Tim Read

Hi Nick

Just had another play with Phocus and it worked fine untill....  I used the short cut [shift+Comm+L] for Live Video without a problem, however after discovering the LV button in the capture menu I tried that and then the brown stuff hit the extractor.  Phocus froze up and I had to [alt+comm+esc] to kill it.  After reopening it couldn't find the camera again until I shut down the IB.  I have now got it working again. Is the Live Video button a known bug?  I think I'm on Phocus 1.0, I probably need to update!

regards
Tim

NickT

Yep Live video was one of the known bugs. 1.1 will fix that plus a few other bugs and adds a bunch of new features. Should be out VERY soon now (days not weeks) and I know the team are working very hard.

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano