30 mm fish eye on H39?

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidH

Has anyone actually used a H3 -39 with the 30mm Zeiss?
I remember seeing warnings from both Phase and Hasselblad about using digital backs on the the H-series Super-wides regarding fringes.
I was wondering if this combo of H3 and 30mm would play well together?

Mechanically the CF adapter will work and the H camera software/firmware and will accept a 30 mm.

Does Phocus fix all optical problems?

I understand that the effect (angle) won`t be the same as full frame film.
I`m after the fish eye look (not a 28mm HC replacement).

Does anyone have any H with 30mm images that they could share?

Thank You,

David

alexkent

i used this lens a couple of years back on a H1D22 tethered to Flexcolor with some students to make this shot:

http://www.setbuild.ucreative.ac.uk/archive.php?pic=08_1408#image

the 22 chip is the same size as the 39 so the distortion etc will be the same.
i was using before the V lens corrections appeared in Phocus, but now it's here that'll help you out also.

i'll have a look around to see if i can find any of the original 3f's, or even a full res tif.
i don't remember having any problems with it, on the contrary, it was a lot of fun!

alex.

alexkent

i found a full res, post retouch, jpeg. not ideal but here's a crop of the bottom left corner.
this is shot at 200iso (pretty noisy on the H1D back) and probably a bit underexposed.
the lens detail looks very good to me, very little visible fringing. but it is possible that there was some correction done in Photoshop so i'll try to find an original 3f.
also this shot doesn't have any high contrast edges details near the edges of the frame, which would display the worst fringing effects.

alex.

DavidH

Hi Alex,

Thanks for sharing your experience and photos.
The image looks great.

I will be keeping my eye for a 30mm.

Cheers,

David