60 MP and 50MS practical use with view cameras

Previous topic - Next topic

cunim

Today I realized I am totally confused.  Hmm.  That doesn't sound right.

Anyway, I know what I want to do, and that my H3D50 can do it, sort of, if the planets align in a certain way.  I can place the back on an copal tech camera or a Lens Control S studio camera, and make images.  There are lots of problems with Phocus but workarounds can be developed.

So, I am now facing the upgrade.  I can go to the H4D/60.  Other than slightly higher res, the only thing that appears to give me is the better back display.  Nice when on the tech camera untehtered.  I do shoot with the Hassy body sometimes so there is also the nifty focus feature when that happens.

Or I can go to the new MS implementation.  That would get rid of my moire problems (braided wires are the worst!), color rendition should be good, and I might even like the microstepped rendering though that is hard to know without actual images.  Lose the better display - sigh.

I do  understand those points.  What I don't know is how well the new 50MS will behave with the workflow I use.  Typically, I take a series of bracketed images - which is already not supported when using the LCS.  I  have to do each exposure manually.  What a pain!  I have to apply scene calibration to each image individually because Phocus will not apply it to a series of images the way it applies other modificiations.  I takes me a while every time to get the back and the LCS talking to each other.  Other things.  In other words, shooting is lengthy and laborious but the results must be worth it or I wouldn't put up with it.

What happens with MS?  I have the suspicioun that it will al become unmanageable as the number of acquisitions increases.  Can someone give me real comfort so I can make a decision based on the potential abilities of the two configurations as opposed to my fear of how the software will mess them up?

David Grover

" I have to apply scene calibration to each image individually because Phocus will not apply it to a series of images the way it applies other modificiations."

How do you mean Peter?  Scene cal can be batch modified like any other setting?

cunim

David, it doesn't work.  HUSA does not seem to know why.  I believe it used to work but at some point it was broken.  Happens every time. 

Highlight a bunch of images.
Load a SC
Press modify.

The modify progress bar does not appear.  The first image in the series is modified.  The rest are not. Same thing if you select an image with an existing SC, highlight a bunch more, and then hit miodify.  No joy.

Yes, SC is selected in the checkbox list.

Peter

David Grover

Dick Roadnight

Quote from: cunim on November 13, 2010, 04:00:53 AM
Typically, I take a series of bracketed images - which is already not supported when using the LCS.  I  have to do each exposure manually.  What a pain!...

What happens with MS?  I have the suspicioun that it will al become unmanageable as the number of acquisitions increases.  Can someone give me real comfort so I can make a decision based on the potential abilities of the two configurations as opposed to my fear of how the software will mess them up?
Multi-shot is, presumably, a function of the back (rather than the camera) and you will presumably, on a view camera, using phocus 2.6 and an iPad, be able to remotely switch from MS to single shot... and does phocus not do bracketing on view cameras with electronic shutters?
H4D-60, 50-100mm, 300mm, CF, Flexbody, P3

cunim

Perhaps Phocus does do bracketing and I have just lost the knack.  There is no bracketing option I can find in Phocus when the electronic shutter is selected.  The LCS offers a bracketing setting that works untethered, but Phocus appears to bypass that when it triggers an exposure.

Dick Roadnight

Quote from: cunim on November 19, 2010, 06:04:10 AM
Perhaps Phocus does do bracketing and I have just lost the knack.  There is no bracketing option I can find in Phocus when the electronic shutter is selected.  The LCS offers a bracketing setting that works untethered, but Phocus appears to bypass that when it triggers an exposure.
...so we can use bracketing tethered remote with the body attached and with Hasselblad lenses, but not on a view camera with electronic shutters?

The option to attach a battery to the H4D-60 back does seem to indicate that Hasselblad are taking the view camera option seriously, but bracketing and integration with the eShutter would be nice.
H4D-60, 50-100mm, 300mm, CF, Flexbody, P3