Phocus color space

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Does anyone know what color space Phocus uses? I just converted a shot and then opened it up in PS using ProPhoto RGB. The image is considerably more muted in PS than it was in Phocus. I would expect the two to be a lot closer.

Cheers,

Jeff
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

NickT

Hi Jeff
Phocus (and Flexcolor) use "Hasselblad RGB" as input space/working space. It is slightly larger than Adobe RGB as illustrated here:

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Thanks Nick. I'm surprised at the difference. I'll do a few more tests. I don't suppose that Phocus is assigning rather than converting?

Cheers,

Jeff
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

NickT

Phocus is certainly converting, can you summarise  your colorsync workflow?
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I make my adjustments in Phocus and then export using an export preset with Tiff 16 and ProPhoto RGB as the color space. I normally make gross adjustments in Phocus and then end up using layer masks in PS for selective stuff. I can send you the 3F and TIF, if you wish. I haven't had a chance to try exporting with Adobe RGB yet.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I just exported the same image in ProPhoto and Adobe RGB. They both look the same in PS and are considerably more muted than what I see in Phocus. I posted a grab in the gallery which shows the Phocus image on the left and ProPhoto in PS on the right.

Cheers,

jeff
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

hcubell

I recently asked Hasselblad USA about the working space in which Phocus operates and edits are made and received an e-mail back that it operates in an extremely wide space that essentially encompasses the full color space of the chip. It would be interesting to see a gamut comparison of that working space and Prophoto RGB.

robertpoll

Hi Jeff,

Has a look at the image you posted - it's quite a difference. I use exactly the same workflow and get a good match Phocus-Photoshop so not sure whet the problem is but it's certainly not normal based on my experience. Can't see any obvious cause though unfortunately...

...rob
robert poll photography | www.robertpoll.com | +44(0) 7768 466663

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Howard, I just posted a comparison between Hasselblad and ProPhoto. Pro is a lot bigger.

Robert, neither can I yet. It really became obvious when I started on an evening shot with loads of warm, red light. I suspect that something is corrupted but Im not sure where to start. I'm using 1.0.1. Given that it produces the same result to both Adobe and PrpPhoto RGB, I'm inclined to think it is somewhere in the Phocus setup.

Cheers,

Jeff
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I just deleted Hasselblad RGB and the Flex profiles, Phocus and all the versions of Flex that I had hanging around. I then downloaded Phocus and 4.8.6 from the Hasselblad site and reinstalled them. Nothing is different. The colour is significantly different in Phocus to the exported file in PS. Anyone have any suggestions of what my next step might be?

Cheers,

Jeff
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

robertpoll

Hi Jeff,

Seems really odd. I wonder whether the problem could be that there are some adjustments that aren't being reflected in the preview that you see in flex. Maybe you could try removing any corrections you've done (assuming you've done some) to see if you then get a match. If you like I'd be happy to see if I see the problem my setup with your file. If you'd like me to drop me an email (rob@robertpoll.com) and I'll send you my ftp site details.

...rob
robert poll photography | www.robertpoll.com | +44(0) 7768 466663

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

hcubell

Quote from: Jeff on July 26, 2008, 10:17:33 AM
Howard, I just posted a comparison between Hasselblad and ProPhoto. Pro is a lot bigger

Jeff

Hmmm. I would not have expected such a difference in volume. If Hasselblad RGB truly encompassed the gamut of the chip. I wonder what the working space for Phase backs looks like compared to ProPhoto RGB.

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I don't think it's an issue at all. ProPhoto, as I understand it, is like an insurance policy. Nothing goes near it today but might in the future so using it keeps all options open.

As an update, I have been exchanging emails with Nick over the last couple of days about this issue. My summation is that Phocus is displaying in the profile of the Imac even when I am looking at the image on my Eizo. If I have an image in PS on the Imac, I can drag it to the Eizo. As it gets to the Eizo the colour intensifies until I let the mouse go and then changes back as the correct profile is applied. Phocus, OTOH, stays the richer colour on the Eizo.

Both monitors are profiled. The Eizo with Color Navigator and the Imac with Eye One Match.

Cheers,

Jeff
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com