Mac Pro Firewire Still Live After Shutdown

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Read

Hi All

Having just taken delivery of a spanking new Mac Pro I have discovered that the firewire ports remain live after shut down which means I have to unplug the camera every night. Now whilst this is a very minor irritation I am concerned that the fire wire socket on the image bank is going to get worn, leading to connection problems over time.  Also because I am a bit of a muppet I will (already have) forget to disconnect the image bank and in turn the Back leaving them running over night.  I have had a look on the Apple Knowledge page but apart from confirming that this is the norm I could not discover if there was a way of disabling this feature short of pulling the plug at the wall. Of course there is also the issue of energy wastage and Global Warming. So, I would love to know if there is a quick fix for this.

regards
Tim 

Monty Rakusen

Hi Tim

I've suspected this for sometime and there is a solution.

I have lots of Lacie drives connected to my Pro and I don't like seeing those power units glowing in the middle of the night. Also I and my assistants often forget to turn off the monitors, so when I come into the studio half drunk in the middle of the night to check my mail (not really) it can look like Las vegas!

What I have done is run an extension lead from the mains through a cooker switch which isolates both positive and negative cables, this then runs onto an extension block with lots of sockets so the machine, monitors and drives are all plugged in. When you come in in the morning you throw the switch and then fire up your mac. When you finish for the day you shut down the mac and after its done it all you throw the switch! Simple really and safe. You can expand on this by having another circuit for your drives etc.

Monty

A bright day in Yorkshire not too hot but with the possibility of a Barbecue!

Tim Read

Hi Monty

Sounds like a cunning plan.

Thanks
Tim