H1D 22, the first Hasselblad Digital

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Méndez

Hi all

About 5 years ago I bought my first Hasselblad Digital Camera H1D22. I was and still proud to have this camera as the quality of the images are great, even I would say that the quality between this model and the H3D 39 is similar for my way of seeing the results between the shots I've done of them the same day and same hour. But the problem that I find with the H1D is Hasselblad itself. The updatings for the H1D has been forgotten as they have done no improvement on exif data such as lens used, no posibility of lens correction as done on other later models, etc, etc, etc. If this was done I would have a great camera update like other any Hasselblad. I´m not asking for more pixels, it's just a simple reasonable question :-\. Why can't this camera be updated like other models. And another question, when will other later models will lose the future updatings like it's happened to H1D? The H1D is still Hasselblad.

Thank you.

alexkent

i understand the processor in the H1D camera body isn't capable of passing lens data along to the back. this was the significant change to the camera body when the h2 was released.

alex.

Roger Méndez

Incredible  :o. That must of been one of the reasons that the H2D came out to market 2 - 3 months later after I received my H1D. And I had to wait 3 months for it and Hasselblad just didn't mentioned anything about the new model while I was waiting for it, only that when the new model came out I could have an up-grade program for 5000€ to get the new H2D. That would of cost me only body and 1 lens 26000€ doing that upgrading. Now even my wife's Nikon D60 about 400€ and 2 years old has these corrections on with any program, not only Nikon's but also with Lightroom, Capture one, Aperture even with Photoshop CS5. I always say that Hasselblad was steady and serious with film backs, but lost there way of developing in digital backs as they haven't programmed correctly what they were going to do the future and leaving older models problems apart and only thinking for new models and sales. My H1D has just 5 and half years old and doesn't even appear in discontinued product. Maybe I can do landscapes and portrait with it, but I'm specialized on interiors and architecture, and I can't use the H1D as the distortion problem can't be resolved . My wish is to find a way to resolve this problem ;). By the moment I'm not quite happy :-\ how Hasselblad has done things with this model and in one way I feel a bit deception as my H1D has no more than 25000 shots and technically compared with other much lower price cameras it has less features.

Stonemonkey

I feel your pain. I have an H2 with a CF-22 back and I feel left in the dust. All of the attention has shifted very quickly to the H-3D and 4-D platforms and none of the firmware updates do me any good. I add to that some issues I have with Phocus and become quite discouraged at times. I have started contemplating researching other camera options instead of upgrading. I may be able to get a better trade in value.

Brian

alexkent

i have asked the Phocus developers to add the ability to manually set the lens data for H lenses in the same way you can currently manually set lens data for V lenses.
this would give us the DAC lens corrections in Phocus even on the older H cameras.

i'm sure it wouldn't hurt for them to receive a couple more emails asking for this feature as well...

support@hasselblad.com

Stonemonkey

So let me see if I follow here. In order for the lens correction to take place, the Phocus software must be aware of the type of lens being employed. Are you saying that your Meta Data does not contain this information? When you view the Meta data for an image, is the lens field blank? Because, if the information is in the images Meta Data then Phocus should be able to adjust for it.

Right?

Brian

Roger Méndez

Right Brian, I think the same as you on that way. ;). I hope they take a note about this. Even so, I'm happy with my H1D and I can't go buying a new hasselbald every year because they don't adapt the firmwires to older models. And why more pixels. I get clearer images with H1D 22 with Flexcolor than H3D 39 with Phocus. Colours are the same.

Roger

alexkent

Quote from: Stonemonkey on August 28, 2010, 07:57:33 AM
Are you saying that your Meta Data does not contain this information? When you view the Meta data for an image, is the lens field blank?

yes the lens field is blank with files from an H1D.
the H1 body cannot communicate to the digital back which lens is attached and so the back does not write anything to the Metadata.

NickT

Quote from: Stonemonkey on August 28, 2010, 07:57:33 AM
So let me see if I follow here. In order for the lens correction to take place, the Phocus software must be aware of the type of lens being employed. A

Phocus also needs to know aperture and critically lens to subject distance.

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano