shooting in Antelope Canyon

Previous topic - Next topic

pchong

hi Guys and Gals...

Will be heading out to the Grand Canyon in Sept...specifically Antelop Canyon to shoot the wonderful structures...this is my first trip there...and understand the environment is very dusty. What advice for shooting with H3D-39? I am a bit worried because the back is fan cooled...will draw even more air through the system, and I have a nightmare vision that it sticks everwhere rendering the camera useless. Any advice?

btw, this is an extended trip...I will also be shooting at Yellowstone National and Hoover Dam...and would also appreciate any advice on location, spots, precautions, etc.

Thanks.

Derek Jecxz

Between Antelope Canyon (near Page) and Kanab are a number of off-road jeep trails. A few times I spent a couple of days exploring southward between 10 to 20 miles. Lots of fun, almost got stuck in sand, don't go alone like I did. Bring lots of water, watch out for rain (you may die). There are a few less traveled slot canyons, in addition to Antelope. Once I hired a guy who lived in Kanab to take me to a few local spots, didn't cost much.

I photographed in this region for several years before I upgraded to Hasselblad. Depending on how much time you have, and how far you're willing to drive, you'll have a large number of locations to visit. I'd get an Arizona and Utah Delorme topo map book and just look at it for locations. The area is beautiful. My favorite spot is the Coral Pink Sand Dunes Park. Second is the Grand Staircase Escalante. Again, much more than these two.

No advice on the H3D fan issue, perhaps the tech gurus at Hasselblad can explain how to protect it from dust and sand since they designed it. I don't baby the gear, it's meant to be used.

Kind regards,
Derek

pchong

thanks Derek...can always count on you for great answers.

Tech Gurus...what do you say about the fan and talc like dust?

pchong

Thanks to Derek, I did get the Kata 702, and it worked wonderfully in Antelope. My shooting partner ditched his after 10 mins in the canyon, and got his 5d2 and 17-40 all totally covered in fine talc like dust. He says his zoom even feels gritty like the dust got inside the zoom mechanism. I shot with the HCD4/28 with no lens change, and my H3D-39 worked flawlessly. No dust anywhere when I opened it up for cleaning that evening. Nice!

some pics to share:

But the canyon was so crowded during mid-day where the light shafts are visible, its a pain to shoot without anyone kicking your tripod or getting into the pic.