Vertical banding on CFV-39

Previous topic - Next topic

rjanso1

I have recently been shooting images that have bright highlights in otherwise dark image.
The high lights produce vertical purple lines in the image down from the highlight.
Can anyone explain what is happening and offer any possible way of avoiding these lines which make the image un-usable?
The vertical banding seems to be worse with some lenses like the CFE180mm.
Thanks

Monty Rakusen

Yes I shoot quite a lot into the sun and you get a purple line running down the shot often with breakup near the light source. I'm sorry but there's no other way but to retouch. Its just the nature of photography, even on film the problem was similar, perhaps its a little worse with digital.

However your problem sounds worse and it would be useful to see a file. Maybe you have a dirty ir filter?

Monty

alexkent

hi,
i might be entirely on the wrong track here, but with the old old old imacon 3020 back's on RZ bodies, if the camera shutter speed was set the same or faster than the backs' exposure time, we'd get crazy vertical streaking on every image.
i've not used a CFV-39 very much and i don't remember if you set the exposure time for the back separately to the shutter time on the body... if you do, this might be worth looking at. or, as i said, i might be barking up the wrong tree.

regards,

alex.

rjanso1

Hi,

Thank you Monty and Alex for taking the time to comment, my apologies for not attaching a copy of the file in my original post.

Alex's post will be worth investigating further  - as the problem began to occur after I made camera shutter speeds beyond 1 second, with bulb I could only guess the exposure and tried to match the shutter speed to the audio signal from the back at 2 and 4 second exposures.

regards Richard