MacPro graphic card woes

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustbak

I have been working with a custom flashed ATI4890 with 1gb of memory this year however with every update of the OS I was forced to freak with Kext files and custom installation packages to get the card working again. The rotten part is that I have been updating the OS everytime after having done my work of the day. Around 1AM in the night I get this blinking icon to notify me about updates and without thinking, too late for that, I press the update button only to find myself freaking for the next few hours to get my system working properly again.

After 10.6.4 I finally fried my 4890 card and by now I have had it so I am looking for a new good graphics card for my Mac. I find the hours spend keeping this solution running is simply not worth it. Has anyone any idea of a modern high performance card that can be used in a Mac? The 4870 is almost prehistoric by now and I cannot seem to find anything else besides a NVidia card that is almost as old, outrageously priced and still dated...

I think the 4890 still can be used if you spend some hours tweaking the thing and your Kext files. Anyone interested in a 4890 with 1Gb? it will cost you the shipping costs but I will be happy to send it to you.