Uppgrade to H4D40 ...or just add a Canon 5DmrkII?

Previous topic - Next topic

enikone

Hi.
I just need to ventilate some thoughts and I hope some of you could come with some input..or something..
take me down to earth... ;)

Its not long ago I purchased a used H3D 31.
Now I got used to it and I really like Hasselblad and the files it produce.

I recently got offered to uppgrade from my 3 year old H3D31 (wich now has a lot of dust in it, still the LCD is crappy, and there are some marks and bruises on it from the previous owner). and if I don't do it know I might think it will be hard to get rid of the H3d 31 later on. (the offer stands until last July)
It is still some money in between to punch out just like that, but as it seems like the H4D 40 is faster, better colors, better  and bigger LCD, the new Focus system seems also like its working good, im actually concider to uppgrade.
As I don't have a macbook to shoot tethered im thinking that the H4D would give me more flexibillity during shoots on location etc...including the focus system. This model of Hassebladcamera will give you approximately the same flexibillity as with a DSLR...?

...but..

The other devil on my other shoulder is thinking if I should keep my H3D31 and go for a Canon 5dMrkII as a second camera.
Then I will save some money and have the Canon for "flexibillity"..but that means im a bit afraid that my H3D will just stay in the bag..

But if the H4D40 is that flexible on all those points....why not put the effort and money to uppgrade?
Is it worth it?
You guys with an H4D40...whats your conclusions and feeling about it?

I know this sounds weird but I have been thinking about this since 2 months back and I cant decide.

I tested the H4D40 but very very quickly some weeks ago...I didn't really had the time to go into details with it unfortunately..

Monty Rakusen

You should go to your dealer and ask to borrow the 40 for a weekend and then shoot and shoot with it....and then if you like it, you know what to do.
Or you could just go out and buy the 5d and be like everyone else.

Monty

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I agree with Monty, a loan is the way to go. I struggle with these discussions. The 5D and any other DSLR is so far off what the Hasselblad can produce that I don't understand what there is to compare. A quick look at a file from each should be enough. Having Phocus at the end of the chain is superb, having each back calibrated with the body, and having lense data passed back to Phocus all lead to unbeatable results.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

NickT

I love my 5d2 but it's really not a patch on even my 384 (16MP Kodak chipped ixpress back). The files I have seen from the H4D40 so far have been impressive especially at high ISO. There are a few posts on the H4D40 on my blog here:

http://www.nick-t.com/blog/tag/h4d40/

Cheers
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

HLArt

I get my h3dII-39 now since one year, and I have a canon 1ds mark3 also, with the very best Lenses, but the most time the canon  is in the pocket. I was a canonuser all my lifetime over 45years. Also I have had a 5d mk2, and this one  was the first that I sold after I get the Hassi., last year. OK, the handling by the shots with a Canon 35mm DSLR are very easy, very fast, need no tripod or other equipment, and no hassi can do this like the same way, (high ISO and Imagestbilisized Lenses)  but hasselblad want`s to suggering us, the Hasselbladcamera is to handle like the same way as a 35mm DSLR. No, I think that`s not right, it is only a Hasselbladfake abouth there promotion. But if you want realy quality, there is no way without hasselblad. Between the quality from Canon to Hassi, there are worlds apart. And so I take the more hardwork delicate. In fact since I accept this all I have mutch more fun on location during my shots, and in my brain I always see the eyes and the look of the faces from my employers, when they see my outcomes. I hold my canon, and sometimes I need it for a very fast shot, and so I will not miss it, but for all my finest work, when quality is the only answer, and always when I want to see natural right colors, there is my "ONE an ONLY", my H3DII-39. I love it, and there is nothing comparative happiness beside.
KR f Hörbi

enikone

Thanks guys for you responses.
I sent a mail to the dealer and asked if there is a possibillity to lend a H4D40 for tryouts a couple of days in July.
No answer yet but I hope its not a problem. It shouldn't be for that amount of money. ;)

And yes I agree with you also, HLart.
Sometimes I forget that it is the delicacy and the challenge of the whole process that I also really like with photography.
And yes...the quality of the files...superb!
Remember when I firstcompared a D3X file with a H3D 31 file...not even close.
;)

rem

Hi Enikone, I have also new the H4D-40 and I use it for nearly all and mostly freehand. Its stunning how deep you can go with the shutter speeds. In wideangle is 1/20 the most time ok. Sometimes i put the mirror up with the frontknob and then its so fine...For me the most problem is when the weather ist wet. With my Nikon D3 and all glasses its no problem also in the rain, but with the Hassy...  I have to try;-) Try it! rem

Jacephoto

hmm... very good question.

I guess everyone of us needs to have 3 cameras: 1 x pocket cam (for instant capture), 1 x DSLR (for faster capture, reasonable work), 1 x MF (for high level work).

I think any MF would do but make sure you have the DSLR first... haha..

enikone

thank for your responses!
yes i will defenetly try it out.

another question..
Why is H4D40 cheaper than a H3DII 39?
According to my dealers prices here in Sweden it is like more than 1500Eur in difference..
???
(Its including the HC80mm)

jeff.grant@pobox.com

A question that I ask myself often, having shelled for a 39 3 years ago. I guess that the answer is new technology is cheaper.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

alexkent

the H4D40 is a smaller chip than the H3D39, thus cheaper. i suppose.

alex.

HLArt

The H4D 40 ist the successor from the H3D 31 with the smaller sensor. The H4D 50 ist the successor from the H3D39-II with the bigger sensor. The sensorsize by cameras is the cubic capacity by a motor in regard of quality. And the price is a mirror of it and  of the difference from manufacture effort.
Kr v Hörbi