About bit depth

Previous topic - Next topic

Valtteri

Hi!

I'm just wondering, when i can get more out of the final image if delivered in 16 bit instead of 8 bit? Or is the most help in the power of raw conversion or what you can "pull out" of 16 bit raw file?

br, V.
---------------------------------
http://www.valtteri.net

alexkent

i'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but i'll try to explain my understanding of 16bit;

16bit files can contain a more precise description of the colour of each pixel. thus there is the potential for more subtle shading and changes in colour.

most of the time, the human eye cannot see this extra subtlety. but, if you're going to make large colour or tone manipulations in photoshop, having more colour information in the original file will look better.

alex.

Monty Rakusen

You don't get banding in the sky with 16bit!

Valtteri

What I'm trying to ask is if there is a way to get the 16 to the customer? Yes, I can do an TIF, but where can it be used?  If the final image is used for print or some kind of electronic use, not Photoshop, that will say most commonly web. Or how should I proceed to make sure the gradients look as they should?
---------------------------------
http://www.valtteri.net

Monty Rakusen

Your customer can't use the 16 bit files unless they intend to do heavy retouching, the 16bit like the fff file is more like a negative. Its the place where you can do your adjustments and cause the least damage because you are adjusting a file with more information. Its like a thick good quality carpet, you hoover it and less stuff comes out, buy a cheap thin one and it sheds like mad! like Derek says there are 65536 colours in 16bit, but only 256 in 8bit.
I use an action right at the end of my workflow, it adds sharpening, adjusts the output levels, removes any guides, converts to 8 bits and puts in file info at the touch of a button.

Monty

mauro risch

Monty,
I don't want to be abusive, but could we have the actions you use for that for a trial?
It would be great to have a post with a few "actions" from all of us.
Different sharpening techniques, etc...
The high pass/soft light is probably the one I use the most.
Cheers,
Mauro
www.maurorisch.com
    0430 383 588

Monty Rakusen

I can do you a screen grab or can you actually email an action?

Maybe not a good idea emailing as others will end up using my copyright terms!

I'll do a screen grab tomorrow and send that.

Monty

Monty Rakusen

Screen shot as requested.

(Amazing that screen grab won't do this!)

Monty

mauro risch

Thanks Monty.
Will try this week.
Cheers,
Mauro
www.maurorisch.com
    0430 383 588