Imacon Ixpress on GX680

Previous topic - Next topic

chamuleau

hi, is anyone here using a Ixpress on Fuji 680? I have a GX680 III, an Ixpress 384c, an Imacon GX680 adapter and several cables including one with 2.5mm jack on one end and a plug for the fuji remote connector on the other end (and another cable with a 2.5mm jack and a PC contact) but I can not get it to work. the shutter won't open or the back does not record. perhaps I need a different or extra cable, some setting in software I overlooked?
If you are using a similar setup can you explain or take a picture for me? could my cable be for an earlier model GX680 I or II? I have several manuals and documentation but they're not very good

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks,
Serge Chamuleau

Alan Housel

You need a special cable from Imacon specifically for the GX680 III, the one that works for the model I and II will not work on the model III. The crazy thing is that the cables look the same but the model III cable has a tag on it. I ordered one from my dealer and it solved the problem for me when I upgraded to the model III.

Best of Luck,

Alan Housel

Charlottesville, VA

528c, GX680 III and Contax 645

NickT

Special thanks to Alan for riding to the rescue, Alan you may park  your horse over *there* :)

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

chamuleau

Quote from: Alan Housel on May 20, 2010, 09:52:26 AM
You need a special cable from Imacon specifically for the GX680 III, the one that works for the model I and II will not work on the model III. The crazy thing is that the cables look the same but the model III cable has a tag on it. I ordered one from my dealer and it solved the problem for me when I upgraded to the model III.

hi Alan,

I do have a cable without a tag, I bought my GX680 III with the Imacon adapter and cables and assumed this would work together but I'm not sure about that and it may simply be the wrong cable. I bought a GX680 model I a few days ago on ebay so I should know when that arrives. then, would I only need that one cable? or a second one? 

thanks,
Serge

Alan Housel

This is all you need if you have a pocket wizard to synch the strobes. See attached photo...

Alan Housel

You'll need the old cable for the GX680 model I and II.

Alan Housel

Serge,

Sorry, I don't have a picture of it on the Fuji GX680III, it is mounted on the Contax at the moment. Dinner is getting cold so I'll catch up with you later.

BTW, Nick, we do have horses around here but not in our "neigh"-borhood! (...just deer, bears, rabbits and squirrels)

Hope to get to your side of the planet someday for a visit,

Alan

Cool and sprinkling here, 62F

chamuleau

Quote from: Alan Housel on May 20, 2010, 10:13:54 AM
This is all you need if you have a pocket wizard to synch the strobes. See attached photo...

thanks Alan,

these are the cables that I currently have:

1. 2,5mm jack to GX680 shutter release
2. 2.5mm jack to PC male
3. 3.5mm jack to PC female

it seems I'm missing the cable that goes in the back's bottom multipinned connector. stores like B&H do list a cable for Fuji/Imacon but no picture so I'm hesitant to order it. I've tried to contact Calumet (I understand they do service in Europe) but so far no answer

chamuleau

today I tried it on a GX680 model 1 and with only the pc cable now now I can trigger it from the shutter release (somehow this does not work with the model III). It's only standalone (not tethered) but at least that's something :-)

and I've found out what cable I should order so I can shoot tethered with the GX680 III

Serge