Phocus questions regarding noise and exposure and going back to flexcolor

Previous topic - Next topic

EH21

Hi,
I've been playing with some files shot at ISO 200 and 400 on my ixpress 528c.   Not something I plan to do all the time but even some under exposed files shot at ISO 400 can be adjusted up in flexcolor by 2 stops to get effective ISO 1600.  Noise is not terrible - lots of grain but no banding or blotches.  If this were film no one would raise an eyebrow.     But why can't I do the same in Phocus?  When I shoot at ISO 400 it opens up as an ISO 50 underexposed by 2 stops and then there is no more adjustment to push with. I can get there with brightness and curves but the noise reduction in phocus actually seems worse - with flexcolor allowing some luminance grain helps retain detail but phocus is doing too much work.  I can't seem to turn it off.  When I uncheck the check box the result is only the default noise settings and not turing the noise off.  Any thoughts?

And lastly if I import a file from the image bank into phocus and decide I'd rather use flexcolor for the conversion something weird happens and the file behaves strangly in flexcolor and sometimes flexcolor crashes.  What's up with that? Is there a way to revert the file so that it can be worked in flexcolor?   

This is with Mac software with intel processors.
Thanks,
Eric

alexkent

Images imported into Phocus cannot be edited in Flexcolor, the .fff file format has been updated in Phocus and is not backward compatible to Flexcolor.

Regarding the ISO behaviour.
Ixpress / H1D (in my case) shots at higher ISO should behave the same way in Phocus as they do in Flex'.

If the iso200/400 shots from your ixpress back are appearing at iso50 in phocus something is wrong. As it happens i saw this exact behaviour with an H1D a couple of weeks ago, it's now in Denmark being repaired (it also had other problems).

I suggest you send a couple of sample raw files to your local friendly Hasselblad rep and ask them what they think.

Alex.

EH21