Phocus: Clipped highlight warning showing in exported Tiff

Previous topic - Next topic

jsinal

Hello,
I am getting the highlight warning colors showing up in my processed/exported tiff. I've attached a file showing this. It's interesting that I can see the warning colors in the thumbnail for this particular photo but not in the larger viewer. Where the green and blue highlight warnings ( as seen in attachment) came from, I have no idea as I have a different color chose in my preferences. I did shoot this originally with Flexcolor (4.8.5) tethered and imported the files to Phocus and figure this must be the problem. I haven't had this happen in other shots with blown highlights.  The attached jpeg shows the problem. When I process the file in Flexcolor, everything is fine. If I shoot in Flexcolor, can I not import and use the shots in Phocus?
Thanks!
John

NickT

Quote from: jsinal on June 20, 2008, 08:44:21 AM
If I shoot in Flexcolor, can I not import and use the shots in Phocus?
Thanks!
John

Hi John
You certainly can bring Flexcolour shots into Phocus but not the other way round. I havn't seen those wierd highlights in the situation you describe, I'll have a play today and see if I can replicate.
Regards
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

robertpoll

I've just seen the same problem - the image was shot tethered, and I had the overexposure highlighting turned on while I was shooting. When I output the previews they had the warnings, so I made sure to turn off the warnings before exporting the TIFFs. I've tried re-exporting to double check I had it switched off and I still get them. As of right now I haven't been able to find a way to get a TIFF without them.

I will talk to Hasselblad in the UK, but maybe Nick you could use your contacts also. In the meantime though it's obviously very risky to shoot with 'mark overexposure' turned on.

Would also be interested to know whether anyone's found a way to get rid of them...

...rob

robert poll photography | www.robertpoll.com | +44(0) 7768 466663

robertpoll

robertpoll

A bit more information on this. Having experimented a bit more with it I don't think it's to do with the highlight warnings at all. You seem to be able to recreate the problem by:

1. Take a shot with some highlight clipping
2. Increase the saturation in Phocus
3. Hit the + key in the Adjustments Browser
4. The main inage will look OK, but the thumbnail will be updated with the clipped highlights turning blue.
5. If you then export a TIF the blueness will be in the tiff also.
6. Once you've exported as a tif the thumbnail seems to go back to normal.

The good news is that if you decrease the saturation the problem goes away.

Will post an update when I hear back from Hasselblad (who have an example file of mine).

...rob

robertpoll

Had a confirmation back from Hasselblad that this is a problem that they know about and will be fixed in the next release of Phocus. In the meantime it's best to avoid increasing saturation in Phocus unless you're 100% sure there's no clipping.

Monty Rakusen

So are you saying that this ONLY occurs if you increase saturation?

Cheers

Monty

Raining

robertpoll

According to Hasselblad, yes, you only see the problem when you increase saturation. I can't say I've tested it exhaustively but I tend to reduce rather than increase saturation and haven't seen the problem in those cases (and it's pretty difficult to miss when you get it!). I guess the ultra cautios route would be to make all saturation changes in photoshop until it's fixed.

...rob

NickT

Looks like this has been fixed in the next release
Nick-T

hcubell

Thanks to all of you for identifying this issue, as  I just picked it up in one of my exported TIFFs. It saved me a  lot of head scratching time.

robertpoll

Have just re-tested this in Phocus 1.01 and the problem does seem to have been fixed!

...rob

HughGilbert

Oh no it hasn't gone away... This was processed in (F)phocus 1.01...

you can see the sky has an interesting alien addition... I reprocessed in Flex...

ALl best

warm and the Rosé is open...

Hugh

NickT

Hugh I can't reproduce that in Phocus 1.01 can you outline the steps you took (I assume a saturation boost). If you like send me a raw via yousendit.com in case it is specific to your hardware.
Nick-T