sharpness

Previous topic - Next topic

pippobaudo

Hello,
I was wondering... I find myself using quite a bit of sharpening in Phocus to get my images to where I think they should be. This bothers me as I believe H3DII should be sharp out of the box. So I sent the camera to Hassy in NJ they looked it over and sent it back to me.... No problem found. I though perhaps the back had misaligned and was out of focus.

What is your experience with this camera?

P.S.
I have several lenses so it's not a lens problem

P.S. 2
I have been a Nikon user professionally for 20 yrs

thank you

Alessandro

Alex Maxim

Hi Alessandro,
I don't use sharpening at all. Neither in Phocus nor in PS and very happy with the sharpness of my images.
Do you have the same problem when shooting with a tripod and with both manual and autofocusing?
If you shoot handheld, a Hasselblad requires 2-4 times shorter shutter speeds than Nikon to get a sharp image due to the sensor resolution.

pippobaudo

thanks for the reply. I will try some tests on the tripod and see what comes out

will update later

Alessandro

rjanso1

Quote from: Alex Maxim on March 03, 2010, 06:15:07 PM
Hi Alessandro,
I don't use sharpening at all. Neither in Phocus nor in PS and very happy with the sharpness of my images.
Do you have the same problem when shooting with a tripod and with both manual and autofocusing?
If you shoot handheld, a Hasselblad requires 2-4 times shorter shutter speeds than Nikon to get a sharp image due to the sensor resolution.

Thanks Alex,

For your explanation on the sensor resolution, I don't have auto focus, I am only using 503CW with manual lenses but have noticed much sharper images on a tripod and with shorter shutter speeds hand-held, pre-triggering the rear curtain also helps.

Regards Richard

Alex Maxim

You are welcome.

Alex

Andre Regini

You may also want be aware that many studio lights have a flash duration that you will need to consider at the higher resolution of the Hassy systems. Although many will have a spec that looks OK e.g. 1/1000sec, this, in most cases, will only be the time taken for the light to decay to 50% of the peak value (t/0.5). But the decay is exponential (or close to it) and the time taken to get to 10% (t/0.1) is considerably longer. Broncolour, among others, publish t/0.1 times and they are very good.

Andre Regini
www.regini.com
www.kingbridge.co.uk