Auto ISO on the H4D 40

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Now that the H4D 40 has arrived and we can get great high ISO performance, what are the chances of getting an Auto ISO function? I find this very useful for happy snapping, having used it on both Leica and Sony bodies. It looks like the 40 is shaping up to be a DSLR killer. This would make the transition easier.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Dustbak

But please don't make the Nikon mistake of setting a fixed minimum shutter time. Instead allow for something flexible, eg. 1/focal lenght & 1/focal length x 1,5. From all I have read and seen sofar the 40 is very appealing.

alexkent

whilst we're on 'auto' settings, how about Auto-WB ?
i've always found it a pain that H camera's can't AWB.

Alex Maxim

Even though Nikon's auto WB is the best out there  I don't think I have ever had a photo that didn't require WB correction later. Unless you don't care about slight variations.

I can't think of a Hasselblad as a camera for snapping anyway with or without high iso. You guys have got to be kidding :)

alexkent

alex, i agree.
that's kind of the point: i always expect to adjust it the wb in phocus, so i don't really pay attention to what it's set to on the camera.
i think it would be helpful to have AWB even if just to have a more useful preview on the back of the camera at the moment of shooting.

when i'm shooting landscapes the light is vary varied so the wb presets are of limited use and i'm not interested in doing grey cards continually (as i know i'll change it later and probably ignore the greycard reading).

alex.

Alex Maxim

you are right, alex. I didn't think about auto WB in these terms. It probably could be helpful for producing a better preview when shooting in uncontrolled light.

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Alex, I'm deadly serious. I'm not fussed about AWB, I can fix that with Phocus later,but I am seriously thinking of dumping my A900 and buying a 40. I often use the A900 for happy snaps of very active grandchildren. Auto ISO is a godsend for that. It gives me the lowest ISO for the available light. Failing that I would be setting higher ISO than I might need. Chasing a moving target with a Hasselblad is challenge enough, Autio ISO would make it a bit easier.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Dustbak

Ah... running after children. I use the D700/14-24 for that with the AF set to nearest subject. Never misses, you just have to make sure you are really close. Sure in most cases I use the H deliberately without the need for auto-anything but... for other occassions when I don't want to think but simply feel the moment and take it.. that is when I set my equipment to A and auto-ISO. Sometimes I use manual focus but that is because I love how the ZF lenses render.