CF or CFII back on a Rollei 6008Int or 6001 body - has it been done?

Previous topic - Next topic

Healey

We are in the process of testing a demo CF39 back on our Rollei system.  We are having problems getting the back to communicate with the body.  Individually the back works with the computer and the body works fine with film, but we cannot get the back to trigger the shutter when tethered nor the shutter to trigger the back when not tethered.  Hasselblad tech support are busy on the case trying to resolve our problem. 

However my question is this: Has anyone used a Rollei body with a CF or CFII back? ever?  If I know it can be done, then we know it is a problem with one of the components.

I know the older Ixpress backs had a little cable port that plugged into the electronic shutter release port, so the back and the body communicated directly.  The only people I know of who use Hasselblad backs with Rolleis are using the older type of back.  But the new CFs do not have the cable attachment and rely solely on the adapter to communicate between the back and body.  So either the adapter we have is bad and we need a new one, or the adapter never worked without the cable. (the cable came in the box with the adapter. The adapter is new off the shelf from Hasselblad)  The CFs are sold stating they specifically work with the Rollei 600X series and 6008AF using the i adapter. 

Thank you for any insight anyone may have.  We cannot spend much more time troubleshooting, we have to earn a living. 

Ema

NickT

I'm no expert here... The only thing I can think of is have you selected the camera type in the back menu? I assume plate/back/body contacts are all aligned correctly and clean/un-damaged?

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

H3dfan

You need a cable wich goes into the 10 pin sync of the camera body. Only the AF and Integral2 seems to work without.

Healey

Quote from: ixpressraf on February 25, 2010, 09:35:47 AM
You need a cable wich goes into the 10 pin sync of the camera body. Only the AF and Integral2 seems to work without.

The cable goes to the camera body, but the CF-39 does not have anywhere for the other end of the cable to go to.  Does this mean you think the CFs will only work with the AF or the i2?

As I said I know it works with the old Ixpress backs, they connect via cable. I am working with the CF-39 and or possibly the CFII-39.

H3dfan

Nope, there are two outlets on the side of the CF back: one for the flas trigger and the other to control shutters.

Healey

Quote from: ixpressraf on February 26, 2010, 11:20:44 AM
Nope, there are two outlets on the side of the CF back: one for the flas trigger and the other to control shutters.

Oooooh!!!  OK.

There is a port, labeled #12 on the CF manual pg 9 and 10.  This connector looks just like the flash sync input, but it is labeled green instead of red .  So we need a cable that goes from this port (#12 we shall call it) to the 10 pin sync on the camera body?

The cable that came with the adapter has the 10 pin sync (actually it has 14 pins) that plugs into the port on the right side of the camera body (looking from behind the lens) and a 10 pin connector on the other end.  I think this is the cable for the old Ixpress models. So we have the wrong cable???!!!!!!   I'm calling support as I write.

Please, please, please work.

Ema

Healey

Quote from: ixpressraf on February 26, 2010, 11:20:44 AM

HUSA support is not very excited about my "discovery" of a magic cord.  ... yet  ...  :-\

ixpressraf,

May I ask if you are using or have used a Rollei with a CF back and if so which model Rollei is/was it?

Thanks for your time and input so far.  Really appreciate it.

Ema

H3dfan

Healey

Thanks everyone for your input.  The CF39-MS is headed back to Denmark for other problems we noticed after we got the back and body to work using the flash sync.  (temporary solution since the back cannot operate tethered in MS mode under flash sync) In the meantime HUSA is still working on the Rollei issue.  They still think the Rollei 600X series should work with just the adapter "plate" without any additional cable.  If this turns out to be the case, I will share that info here. 

Thinking about dumping Rollei and just getting an H camera, but the one (single exposure) shot we got with the Schneider APO 150 was so nice (except for "black pepper" over the image).  I just want to see what an MS can do with this lens before I give up.  (done whining, sorry)

Thanks again,
Ema

Healey

For anyone who might own a Rollei and are looking for a definitive answer.

Ixpressraf is 100% correct.  There is a cable, HUSA support found it, that is required to use a CF or a CFII back with Rollei 600X manual bodies.  6008int2 and 6008AF can be used without this cable.  So there does exist the "magic" cable!

We are now waiting for said "magic cable" to arrive so we can see first hand the wonders of multi shot technology.

Thank you for your help Ixpressraf!  You are the best! (at least better on this one than HUSA tech support  ;)  )

H3dfan

I know ;-)). I am using digital backs now since 1995 or 96. Have had ALL medium format cameras with film( from Contax to Kiev and all in between. I have had also almost all dital back systems ever made, not in all megaoixel versions but i am sure i have had every family. I now have chosen the H3d-39 MS as main camera, the Phase one P20+ for the free work and whenever long exposures are needed. The Kodak Proback for ALL portraiture and for Infrared ( i now have 4 of them, time to sell a H1/proback/300mm set) and for real exeptional photography i use the Hartbleicam HCAM-B1, to me the most exceptional cameratool ever made. ;D