120 macro lenses...HC v XCD

Previous topic - Next topic

sqarehole

So, after as much reading about as I could, it seems that the XCD 120 is now available, and is a cool £4K, whereas an HC + adapter can be had for £1500. I'm Scottish, so that price difference is significant, but is there such a big performance difference? I know that so far the HC lens and adapter won't give autofocus, but for me that's okay. But, the HC offers 1:1 macro, but the XCD is 1:2. Has anyone got any more direct experience, rather than me just reading books and posts.

Michael H. Cothran

I fully concur with your concern, and have opted for yet a 3rd choice for me.
First, to reply to your inquiry - IMO, the HC 120 is a great lens, which means it will STILL be a great lens mounted to the X1D. While the MTF charts for the XCD 120 show it to be about as good as a lens can be, I doubt you will ever see any real life differences in your actual files. And especially for the price difference.

I felt the same way about the price of the XCD 120 ($4500 US) compared to what else I could buy. I went the route of purchasing a Hasselblad/Zeiss CF 135 Makro Planar lens along with a Hasselblad auto bellows (also focuses down to 1:1). Cost of the lens, bellows, Kipon adapter, and shipping from Ebay was $1100 US. Saving me $3400 US over the XCD lens. I plan to apply that $3400 savings towards the purchase of the XCD 21mm lens, scheduled to come out in 2018.

PS - While you didn't state a difference, are you looking at the original HC 120 or the HC 120 II?

siddhaarta

Problem is that there are two versions of the HC 120mm.

I have no direct experience but there are some tests out there which show a clear difference and improvement from first to second version (you can also download MTF for both versions). The second version is difficult to get used and if, it is quite expensive.

sqarehole

Thanks guys, and nice to read Michael's ingenuity...where there is a will and a wit, there is a way. I had hoped to find an HC II, and there seems to be two available in the UK just now...a bit dearer, but very low shutter counts (one is only 11!)