USBc to FW800 CFH 39MS

Previous topic - Next topic

DaB

Hi All,

My old capture MBP has finally died, so now Im looking at two options for a replacement capture device for my CFH39MS :

A : Get one of the new USBc MBPs and use a USBc - Thunderbolt adapter with a Thunderbolt - FW800 adapter, will this even work ? I'm looking to run this tethered with no mains power, so powered hubs / docks are out.

B : Get a 2015 spec MBP ( which costs almost the same despite being 2yrs old tech and is virtually obsolete in Apple's eyes ) and use a Thunderbolt - FW800 adapter which apparently does work without a powered hub.

Can anyone with experience of either scenario chime in please ?

Cheers

Da B

NickT

Can't speak for A but B definitely works.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

jerome_m

A and B should work identically.
Note that the adapter from Apple which you call "USB-C->Thunderbolt" is actually an adapter from Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2. It will only work on USB-C ports which carry Thunderbolt 3 signals, which is the case on the Macbook Pro but not on the tiny 12" Macbook.

DaB

Just a quick update, I took a chance on option A and got one of the new 15" MBPs with both adapters, and it worked a treat, in fact probably the most stable tethered shooting I've ever had in all my dig years. Went straight into a 5 day location shoot, and it was rock solid, I kept looking at the dodgy looking concoction of adapters thinking ' no way ' but to my total amazement not one dropped connection, crashes or hangs, just a few issues with reconnecting after sleep, but that most likely an Mac Sierra issue. In any case a simple unplug/replug sorted it out everytime. BTW the new MBPs are wicked machines, light a feather, super fast and battery life for yonks !

bodtlaender

Thank you, DaB, for letting us know!

This is indeed something, I was worrying about.

I hope, the adapters work for a long time, because the one with FW800-TB seems to be discontinued already and getting a replacement might be difficult.

Bernd

fiatlux

Would this work for firmware update as well (which requires a powered FW connection)?