H6D

Previous topic - Next topic

DJPixelMan

"I'm sorry that you "detest" apple."

Sorry to offend. It's a long story, which I certainly won't bore you with.

NickT

It's fine. This forum is a bit different from the many out there in that many of us have been chatting away since 2001 and we are ever so polite :) I'm always a bit cautious with new members who like to wade in on their first post. Hope you understand.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

DJPixelMan

Thanks Nick..I wasn't intending to come off as rude.  :)

NickT

See? Politeness rules again :) Thank you.

Paul Claesson

DJPixelMan

1: Why has the colour coded Acceptance level been removed? That was really useful as a coarse check.
IAA (Instant Approval Architecture) was removed in the H5D and the P1 and P2 (Programmable) buttons added. The H6D has an Image rating button on the back, which will allow you to Rate images 1-5 stars or green/yellow/red.  This function will be added future firmware release.

2: Why has white balance measure been removed? Not all of us shoot tethered, and I really like to set my WB at the time of the scene shoot, not later in Phocus when I may have forgotten that something changed light wise. Please can we have it back.
The function "Gray balance exposure" will be included in a future firmware release. I too find this very useful when working in the field.

3 :Why is WiFi only for Apple stuff? I don't want to use Apple, I prefer Android. Will Android be ignored, or are Hasselblad saying that my very expensive camera will only have limited facilities unless I change to a tablet brand that I detest?
Hasselblad has focused on the iOS version, due to the large user base. If i may suggest starting a thread on this forum specific to this request for Android users and we can see what the interest level is.
Paul Claesson
Orbitvu USA
Former Hasselblad Employee

NickT

NickT

Another H6D video:

davidthescot

Well I have had my H6D-50 for five days now and I have to confess to mixed feelings about sending off my solid and reliable H4D-50 to do the upgrade.  Having gone through a path which started with an H3D-31, H3d39, H3D39M2, H4D50, H4D60 and back to a 50 (don't ask) I only upgraded because of the need for live view. 

I have been using two systems - Nikon and Hasselblad - the former when I thought I needed portability (ha ha) and the latter when that was not an issue except for one thing.  Live view became indispensable IMO for some things - food photography for example - and the potential availability of live view on my H was the clincher.  I am not talking about pseudo live view but proper tethered live view.  It hasn't happened yet but it is coming soon I hope.

What do I like about the new camera.  The shutter (quieter and less clunky), tethering (so much more solid), the user interface on the camera inc. the touch screen (so much easier), wifi (instant focus confirmation on an iPad), the touch screen and in particular the one tap to 100% for focus confirmation, and it it just feels right.

What don't I like (or rather what are the in the process of sorting out).  No live view on a tethered computer or iPad; no wifi to a laptop (only to IOS devices), tethering still by cable, it eats batteries, and the sensor body gets very hot (like the original HD3). 

I really look forward to the new firmware release which I am told will solve many of these problems.

Burned boats means that the Nikon kit is already sold on Ebay (to finance the upgrade)

bdp

Hi David,

I have similar feelings to you but I am optimistic that things will improve for us early adopters.

I have been told that the battery charge/power over USB thing will be sorted with a new cable, but I bought a generic USB-C to USB A cable because I'm impatient and it still doesn't supply power to the camera. This must be coming in the firmware upgrade.

Also live video is definitely coming very soon. Can't wait for that.

The things I'm a little disappointed with is that I find the colour from the camera quite different to the old CCD backs. I've mentioned this to my dealer but so far no response from HB if they are aware of this and/or if it will be improved. Also the screen on the camera really needs the ability to have it's WB tweaked - mine is so warm.

On the plus side is the incredible reliability of the tethering - not one dropped connection or crash all week. Was hoping it would be a little faster though.

I'm sure things will only improve.

Ben

DBF

I have tried the H650 and compared the Pictures to those, I made with my H3DII50.
I was really disappointed from the Colors the H6 made.
I don`t wont to have the H6  - not even, if I would get it for free.

davidthescot

Quote from: bdp on May 26, 2016, 07:41:59 AM
Hi David,

I have similar feelings to you but I am optimistic that things will improve for us early adopters.

I have been told that the battery charge/power over USB thing will be sorted with a new cable, but I bought a generic USB-C to USB A cable because I'm impatient and it still doesn't supply power to the camera. This must be coming in the firmware upgrade.

Also live video is definitely coming very soon. Can't wait for that.

The things I'm a little disappointed with is that I find the colour from the camera quite different to the old CCD backs. I've mentioned this to my dealer but so far no response from HB if they are aware of this and/or if it will be improved. Also the screen on the camera really needs the ability to have it's WB tweaked - mine is so warm.

On the plus side is the incredible reliability of the tethering - not one dropped connection or crash all week. Was hoping it would be a little faster though.

I'm sure things will only improve.

Ben

I agree with you in that the colour rendering is different and that is a function of the conversion algorithm and the change from CCD to CMOS.  I don't think that this is better or worse just different and a factor to get used to and adjust through the raw conversion process. Let's not forget that the sensor is not seeing in colour but merely just reporting luminance values per pixel and it is the software that gives us a coloured result.  I feel sure that Hasselblad will be striving to ensure that the output is at least as good as the CCD cameras.

bdp

Quote from: davidthescot on May 26, 2016, 06:25:46 PM

I agree with you in that the colour rendering is different and that is a function of the conversion algorithm and the change from CCD to CMOS.  I don't think that this is better or worse just different and a factor to get used to and adjust through the raw conversion process. Let's not forget that the sensor is not seeing in colour but merely just reporting luminance values per pixel and it is the software that gives us a coloured result.  I feel sure that Hasselblad will be striving to ensure that the output is at least as good as the CCD cameras.

I certainly hope they do improve the colour, but I fear that now the camera is shipping that is it. Also, they have had this sensor in the H5D-50c for ages, so I would have thought that the profile was sorted with that camera and just used for the H6.

Ben

DBF

I had also the Phase One XF with the 50 MPix Back with me - it has the same Sensor as H650? - the Colors are better, but not good.

davidthescot

Quote from: bdp on May 26, 2016, 06:52:20 PM
Quote from: davidthescot on May 26, 2016, 06:25:46 PM

I certainly hope they do improve the colour, but I fear that now the camera is shipping that is it. Also, they have had this sensor in the H5D-50c for ages, so I would have thought that the profile was sorted with that camera and just used for the H6.

Ben

Ben

I have been playing around with the various settings and using different raw converters.  It is clear that there are a wide variety of ways that the image can be rendered with a further huge range of adjustments which can be made.  So far I have to say that the images are very consistent with the quality I was getting from my H4D-50 once some work is done.  That work may actually be just getting the right presets and settings for the initial import into Phocus and then deciding whether to use Lightroom or Phocus for the conversions.  My preferred procedure is to import using Phocus to get the benefit of the lens corrections etc and then use Lightroom to convert and output the raw files.  The adjustment in the Phocus import drop down menu produces a variety of different looks.  I have just tried the nature look which seems to offer a more saturated palette.

As I said earlier it is just different and perhaps the "out of the box" colour may not be what some people expected or like.

Just saying.....

jerome_m

Testing the colours should be relatively simple. Take a H4D-40 and an H6D-50 (for example). Point the two cameras at the same thing, under various lights (for example: outside, by sunlight and under clouds). Compare the images.