CFV50 Managing Expectations

Previous topic - Next topic

timh228

Dear Forum,
I'm new here, so forgive me if I ask questions you have seen many times previously.

I'm also new to H/Blad digital equipment , I have just bought a mint condition CFV 50 (not the new CFV50c) to begin using my wonderful  V system kit again.
My first forays into the combination of CF lenses, 503CW and  the CFV back, Phocus etc. are somewhat disappointing and I need to manage my expectations.
I'd been interested to hear how others users have got the best out of this combination.
Images processed in Phocus 2.6.6 show an alarming amount of noise in the shadows  (even on low ISO)and edge softness. Whilst I can improve this by processing in Photoshop CC I lose the H/Blad lens corrections in Phocus.(not that I can really see much difference in correction)
Thanks in advance for any advice shared.

Tim228

jerome_m

You should not see "an alarming amount of noise in the shadows" at base iso. Besides, Phocus has built-in noise reduction and sharpening.

Please try the following:
-download and use the latest Phonic version
-make sure that you are not severely underexposing your pictures (sorry if this sounds trivial, but it is the best explanation I can find from the top of my head and since there is no communication between the back and camera in your case, it is possible to set the two on different isos).

NickT

Yes I agree with Jerome re noise. You could always dropbox me a RAW file if you'd like me to take a look.

As an aside id you export a TIFF from Phocus (for further processing in PS CC) then all the lens corrections etc have been applied).

Re: soft edges again I would expect that is this with all lenses?

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

timh228

Jerome wrote;
-download and use the latest Phonic version.
-make sure that you are not severely underexposing your pictures (sorry if this sounds trivial, but it is the best explanation
Nick T wrote:
As an aside id you export a TIFF from Phocus (for further processing in PS CC) then all the lens corrections etc have been applied).

Good advice guys , I'm now 3 firmware updates further on, (now on 370)
Exposure prior to the update was pretty consistent, but trials with long exposures, 2,4, 8 seconds  on 'B' revealed : Magenta banding and terrible specular highlights streaking vertically down the capture,
and an unhappy relationship between mechanical body and digital back ! (cured by a combination of firmware upgrades, timing the exposures accurately, and closing the shutter just fractionally before the back shuts down after the specified exposure time)

As for Phocus, I'm still a novice with that software, so after getting poor results with my clumsy first attempts I opted for what I know best which is ACR in PS CC. So far I'm getting better files with less noise.
But Phocus is full of bells and whistles and I'm sure I'll improve my results when I use it more.
Lens corrections will definitely be useful, I think they can be applied for export as DNG too. Edge softness has improved by being more careful with focus and using the floating element adjustment more precisely.
Thanks for the input guys , it has been a steep learning curve today!
ATB Tim228

NickT

Yes lots to learn!
The Magenta streaking is definitely a timing issue where the mirror is moving during the exposure, it's been a long time since I've used V system but I assume there's a setting on the back o alter timing.

Sharpness wise these backs are very un-forgiving which is partly why I moved to H system with it's auto focus. i'd certainly be testing your lenses at different apertures as I remember diffraction (softness) would kick in quite suddenly when you stop down.

Phocus should definitely produce better results that Photoshop so do persevere there, I think even when everything is zeroed out: "Standard" you should get better results.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

sailronin

I've just switched to a CFV-50 as well.
Under camera settings on the CFV you set exposure time as <1/8, 1/4, 1/2 etc out to something like 256 seconds. If you are doing 2, 4 and longer exposures with the back set to less than 1/8 second you will get strange artifact and magenta banding. Try setting the back to 4 seconds and then try your long "B" exposures.

Good luck and congrats, that should be a great setup.