Ghosting, Severe Magenta Chromatic Aberrations, Noise 100 ISO H4d 1/800 f5.6 stu

Previous topic - Next topic

jlanceimaging

Im shooting portraits mainly in a semi-controlled lighting environment, hasselblad H4D 80mm lens, and when the issues began i was using one light setup,  f5.6 - 1/800 (which I should have known there was an issue when i had to turn the shutter up that high) it began with a magenta streak through the bottom right side of the image  and ghosting, and turned into severe chromatic aberrations.

I have done the following and have had no results:
1. Shot using different cards. - each card i tried a flash, studio lighting, natural lighting, a mixture of lighting and multiple aperture and shutter speeds.
2. Tethered using i tried a flash, studio lighting, natural lighting, a mixture of lighting and multiple aperture and shutter speeds.
3. Flash in doors, outdoors,
4. Reset the camera settings
5. updated the firmware
Yet there is  still ghosting and chromatic issues. The images are full of noise and look as if i didn't focus, i spot focused and the camera was on a tripod. I contacted hasselblad and the tech support had me do al the things i already did. Tech support said they have never seen issues like this.  at the bottom of this email there is a link to some samples. I posted in landscape luminous and someone mentioned i post here.
Thank you in advance. I hope it is only a stupid mistake i made - like accidentally changing some setting and not something like a cracked shutter. The camera has not been dropped or mishandled in anyway. It just began to do this in the middle of a three day shoot where i did a pop-up studio in my daughter's garage to shoot a high school  basketball team, senior photos, an family portraits.

I know that it is leaking light and that the camera isn't able to mix color (light) t temperatures. I don't have another lens to see if the lens is a problem. I have however noticed that the shutter has stuck a couple times. The shutter has always been super loud from the day i bought it brand new in 2011.
could it be a crack in the shutter? I read that if there is a crack it would start off small and in time it would gradually get larger, I used my iPhone 6 to take a slow-mo video of the shutter opening and closing. i also took some iPhone shots of the shutter through the lens. let me know if you want to see those .

Thank you in advance
any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vgqca2dxkt8w64d/AADXHzUvLMzZvuhDQfUjqTBTa?dl=0
Julie Lance MPS

jerome_m

I can't find it back now, but I remember of seeing something similar. It was either a shutter problem or a wrong setting on the back. Test the following:
-another lens, to check the shutter
-check that you have not put the back on one of the modes for technical cameras.

NickT

Hi Julie
I saw your post on Luminous Landscape and absolutely concur with what others have said there. The shutter in the lens is faulty and is sticking open or indeed not firing at all and the only think controlling exposure (shutter-wise) is the auxillary curtain. You ought to be able to see the shutter opening and closing from the front especially on a slower exposure.

Best way to confirm would be to hire a lens.

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano