Why .fff and 3FR files

Previous topic - Next topic

pflower

3FR files are readable in the Mac OS and can be "edited" in lightroom.  Why does Phocus require them to be converted to .fff before it works on them?  What is the advantage of this extra step rather than allowing adjustments to be made to the 3FR files?  There must be a logic to it somewhere, but I haven't found any explanation to date.  Just curious.

Thanks

Ali Alriffai

from Phocus Manual (Page 68 ):

Q.   Why are there 3FR and 3F files? Why can't captures be saved directly as 3F files?

A.   3FR files consist of native Hasselblad raw data that contains a huge amount of information, particularly when compared to 35mm digital files. This is essential to produce the level of quality expected from Hasselblad products. It follows that a good deal of computing power is required to extract the maximum in the short- est possible time. To avoid diverting the camera's activities to image processing, the combined advantages of Phocus and a workstation are used instead. 3FR files are then processed into a complete and workable raw format that can be saved, adjusted and exported, namely, 3F.

Q.   What's the difference between 3FR and 3F files? Should I keep them all?

A.   A 3FR file is the native raw file created by Hasselblad cameras and remains in that format when stored on a CF card. When loaded into Phocus, however, various corrections take place based on the hardware configuration of the camera used. This processes the 3FR file into a 3F format file and creates a high quality preview (size accord- ing to settings in Preferences). As this is an improved and specifically-tuned file, the original 3FR file can be dis- carded. You may, of course, export 3F files to TIFF, PSD, JPEG etc., and just keep those but if you have the space, retaining the 3F files could be good insurance to be able to re-process sometime in the future.

I wish we can edit directly

alexkent

the text from the Phocus manual is pretty vague. I've never heard a good technical reason why we can't edit .3fr directly (as Aperture, Lightroom and ACR currently do).
i'm hoping that this will change in the future and Phocus will support a .3fr only workflow.

alex.

Steve C

Same here.  I currently save the 3FR to use in Lightroom or in case Phocus conversions change in future (like they just did with version 2.5 Extra Large Previews), FFF to use in Phocus, and PSD or TIFF for final output.  The resulting workflow and storage requirements are less than desirable.  It would be much better if Phocus could work directly with 3FR files or if Adobe could use FFF files.

randylarcombe

I agree with the above comments. If only I could shoot tethered directly lightroom it would be a perfect system. Phocus is very primitive in comparison to the Adobe workflow. Is there a way of shooting tethered without using Phocus so that the 3FR file format is retained?? The situation I am faced with now is shoot a few frames, put it in the card reader, import to Lightroom, put card back in camera, shoot a few more frames...etc..etc..Very frustrating!

Monty Rakusen

Why in the world don't you just shoot into Phocus, choose the pictures and export as tiffs into Lightroom?
Hasselblad is not an Adobe product and while there are some niggles with Phocus which is in essence part of the camera, its a damn sight better at handling your fffs than Lightroom could ever be.
Monty Rakusen

randylarcombe

Basically Lightroom is just a whole let better for digital workflow than Phocus is. I'm afraid I don't except niggles, it's gotta work! Thanks anyway.

Dustbak

I pretty much felt the same way initially however as Monty already mentioned Phocus is basically part of the camera.

Try getting CA corrected , or distortion correction, or even vignetting corrected of your Hasselblad files in Lightroom. Try to get the same color rendering especially in shadow areas. Try to shoot tethered in Lightroom. These are just a few to name that are impossible in Lightroom.

Lightroom is a great tool, a very generic tool. Lightroom has some niggles too. It cannot read my .FFF files, it cannot tether my Hasselblad either and it definitely doesn't render my files as well as Phocus. I wish Lightroom could do all that Phocus can to my Hasselblad files but I would not hold my breath over it to see it happening.

KeithL

I tend to look upon Phocus as simply a RAW conversion program rather than a digital asset management or image editing program.

Phocus does what it does best better than any other program out there.

David Grover

Also the 3FR only contains a very small JPEG preview - big enough to see on the LCD of the camera.

When you import into Phocus, based on your preference settings, a much larger JPEG is created which speeds up the viewing process in Phocus.  Also this JPEG can be exported almost instantaneously for Web galleries, Contact sheets etc etc.

Something which Lightroom won't handle very well is high ISO captures and long exposures.

Randy - you say you don't accept niggles but your workflow at the moment sounds like it is counter productive?

symbolphoto

I unsuccessfully tried to bring up this point in my other thread about Phocus being more like Lightroom. What i actually meant is what is being said here.

Treating 3FR files like, .CR2 or .NEF files. I realize these files are bigger, but surely, if you are willing to suffer the penalty of waiting for the 3FR, i think you should at least have the option for that.

David Grover

Can you clarify your last statement a little?

At the moment, if you want to use Phocus, you simply import the 3FRs (where at this point you can save time buy adding meta data, adjustments, naming etc during the import process) then process and output your TIFFs thereafter.

If you prefer lightroom then you can go straight ahead with the 3FR option.

I agree it would be nice to have 3F support in lightroom as well for cataloguing reasons.

symbolphoto

Quote from: David Grover on August 24, 2010, 09:53:00 PM

I agree it would be nice to have 3F support in lightroom as well for cataloguing reasons.

Sorry, this is what i meant.

alexkent

Quote from: randylarcombe on August 23, 2010, 01:31:19 AM
...If only I could shoot tethered directly lightroom it would be a perfect system. Phocus is very primitive in comparison to the Adobe workflow. Is there a way of shooting tethered without using Phocus so that the 3FR file format is retained??

it is not possible to create .3fr files whilst shooting tethered.

but you could 'Export New Images Automatically' from Phocus to export .dng raw files whilst shooting...
then have Lightroom set to auto import these .dng's.

i haven't tried it, i imagine it'd probably be a bit slow, but that would give you Tethered shooting into Lightroom with RAW files.

regards, alex.

randylarcombe

That does actually work but you are right it might be too slow. Thanks.