Soft focus with X2D and XCD 35-75mm Zoom.

Previous topic - Next topic

AlwaysRichard

I just got the X2D with the XCD 35-75mm lens. I'm not sure if I am pixel peeping or if the camera/lens combo is causing soft focus. I can take sharp photos indoors but outside the photos looks to have a ghosting to them.

X2D Firmware: v2.0.1
XCD 35-75mm Firmware: v0.6.0

Photo taken on tripod. 1/150sec,  f/11, ISO 64, Lens at 75mm zoom.

Full Photo:

400% zoom in to lettering on tower

My other issue is I'm not sure if its the camera or the lens, since I only have one of each, no way to rule anything out.

bmikiten

I have the same combination. i'll try to do a test this weekend for comparison.

MGrayson

Quote from: AlwaysRichard on September 08, 2023, 12:55:57 PM
I just got the X2D with the XCD 35-75mm lens. I'm not sure if I am pixel peeping or if the camera/lens combo is causing soft focus. I can take sharp photos indoors but outside the photos looks to have a ghosting to them.

X2D Firmware: v2.0.1
XCD 35-75mm Firmware: v0.6.0

Photo taken on tripod. 1/150sec,  f/11, ISO 64, Lens at 75mm zoom.

Full Photo:

400% zoom in to lettering on tower

My other issue is I'm not sure if its the camera or the lens, since I only have one of each, no way to rule anything out.

You didn't, by any chance, have IBIS on, did you? I've done that about half the time I've put an X2D on a tripod.

AlwaysRichard

I thought that, but here is a another example, of a painted brick wall.

Zoom in:

And here is the 3FR file
https://alwaysphotographing.s3.amazonaws.com/B0000724.3FR

satijntje

I think you need a sensor cleaning :-)

AlwaysRichard

Quote from: satijntje on September 09, 2023, 03:28:53 AM
I think you need a sensor cleaning :-)

What is it a dust magnet? The camera is brand-new less then a week since I up boxed it.

PeoOrvendal

You do have a pretty big sensor dust spot in the middle of the frame, slightly left of center.  Odd that it shows up that distinctly at f/11.

I have the same camera and lens combo, and no such focus/shadow issues. I'll see if I can take a similar photo and upload. To me, it looks like motion blur. Did you shoot this with a self timer or remote trigger?

AlwaysRichard

Quote from: PeoOrvendal on September 09, 2023, 10:15:18 AM
You do have a pretty big sensor dust spot in the middle of the frame, slightly left of center.  Odd that it shows up that distinctly at f/11.

I have the same camera and lens combo, and no such focus/shadow issues. I'll see if I can take a similar photo and upload. To me, it looks like motion blur. Did you shoot this with a self timer or remote trigger?

Yeah, I did notice that spot.

I tried shooting (camera on tripod, stabilization off, 2s timer) and (camera on tripod, stabilization off, Phocus remote on iPhone) get pretty much the same thing.

I do notice that shooting in direct sunlight soft focus is worse...

Left (in shade) Right (in sunlight)

But even the one on the left is not what I would expect from this camera / lens combo!

Both taken iso-64, f/8, shutter to expose, zoomed to 75mm, on tripod, stabilization off, about 10' from baseball.

o2mpx

Perhaps unrelated but had similar experience after acquiring the 120mm and left shutter at electronic from using a prior 3rd party lens.

flash

No, my X2D and 35-75 do not exhibit this behaviour, unless I use IBIS while on a tripod. Indoors. Outdoors. Straight into the sun. Whatever, the 35-75 is stellar. I'd have it looked into.

Have you tried shooting without a tripod and IBIS on to see if it's the same. You don't need a tripod for these exposures.

Gordon

AlwaysRichard

I think I figured it out, the leaf shutter on the XCD 35-75mm lens is defective.

Here is some shots of the brick-wall mural with 400% closeup's. On the left is using the XCD lens leaf shutter, them on the right, immediately taking the second photo with electronic shutter turned on.

and on the other side of the building

Thanks for everyone's input!

Eric Borgström

Interesting finding. So not due to image stabilisation on. Rather defect leaf shutter on your XCD Zoom.

I have the same camera lens combination and can not duplicate the issue.

/Eric

AlwaysRichard

Quote from: Eric Borgström on September 10, 2023, 07:42:27 PM
Interesting finding. So not due to image stabilisation on. Rather defect leaf shutter on your XCD Zoom.

I tried on tripod image stabilisation off, and hand-held image stabilisation on. Same result (image sharp when shooting with the electronic shutter).

The brick-wall coffee mural was hand-held.

Eric Borgström

I hope you can have the defect shutter replaced without to much hassel. I have on several occasions had good service from headquarter in Göteborg. Sometimes for free.

/Eric

JoeC

Quote from: AlwaysRichard on September 10, 2023, 01:12:35 PM
I think I figured it out, the leaf shutter on the XCD 35-75mm lens is defective.

I now have had the exact same problem with my XCD 35-75mm lens. Tack sharp when used with electronic shutter. Jittery/unsharp images when using leaf shutter. It'll go to Hasselblad for service next week. I'd be interested in any repair experience you've had with the lens. Thanks.

Joe