Open Source Editing Software

Previous topic - Next topic

boojum

Yeah, it may be a bit nutso to blow US$13K on a camera and then use free, open source editing software, but . . .   

I like the Linux platform over Windows, too slow and cumbersome, MacOS, too closed source and architecture, because it is fast, efficient and free.  Part of the problem with the 3FR files is that few editors read them and can handle them for modification and export. RawTherapee will read and export 3FR.  Exports are JPEG 8 bit, TIFF 8, 16, 16 float, 32 float, PNG 8 and 16 bit.  I have not tried the ART branch (Another RawTherapee) but assume it will do the same.  I have not done any more than export a file.  I have not examined the quality of its color engine.  But if you are interested in an alternative to the current limited list of 3FR file processors you might try this one.  It saves me from logging out of Linux and into W10.  YMMV

It works as Windows, MacOS and Linux.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RawTherapee
Elpis

tenmangu81

I tried ART once, with my Mac Book Pro. Looks very easy to work with. The question is, indeed, the colour. It looks like only Phocus, Lightroom and Photoshop could open .3FR files without losing Hasselblad colours. This is what we can understand on reading the first pages of the Phocus User's Manual. Other softwares, I don't know.
Robert

boojum

Quote from: tenmangu81 on February 26, 2023, 11:08:06 PM
I tried ART once, with my Mac Book Pro. Looks very easy to work with. The question is, indeed, the colour. It looks like only Phocus, Lightroom and Photoshop could open .3FR files without losing Hasselblad colours. This is what we can understand on reading the first pages of the Phocus User's Manual. Other softwares, I don't know.

Interesting.  If this is true we must go through Phocus to other editors.  Small price to pay.  The color is a big part of the magic.
Elpis

BobShaw

Quote from: boojum on February 26, 2023, 11:16:13 AM
>Yeah, it may be a bit nutso to blow US$13K on a camera and then use free, open source editing software, but . . .   
No buts.

>MacOS, too closed source and architecture, because it is fast, efficient and free. 
Yep, Mac OS is fast, efficient and free.

>Part of the problem with the 3FR files is that few editors read them and can handle them for modification and export.
No Hasselblad user should ever be editing 3fr files. Use Phocus to convert to FFF.
Phocus is the best software. Did I mention it is free?

boojum

My angle is that I work mostly in Linux and switching to Windows is a tedious process I would rather avoid.  But it seems unavoidable if I want to keep the stunning color that comes out of the camera.  OTOH I usually avoid RAW files and use the excellent JPG's that the X2D produces, SOOC.  This will not be a big sacrifice if I have to go to W10 now and again but it is an extra step.  Bottom line is that if I want to retain the excellent Hasselblad color I will be doing it in Windows.  I suppose I can do some editing on Phocus Mobile on the iPad but that is another can of worms and I would just as soon avoid it.
Elpis