Hasselblad Service Office in New Jersey Closing

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeC

This isn't specifically about the X-series cameras or lenses, but it is an interesting development for US Hasselblad customers. This from Hasselblad regarding an XCD lens repair:

QuoteI wanted to inform you that the Hasselblad service office in New Jersey is closing.  The office will relocate to California.  Your equipment will be shipped to the California location for repair.  Please be aware that the new office will open at the end of the month, so there will be a delay with your repair.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks

Anthony McCall
Hasselblad Technical Support Representative
Hasselblad Inc. | 11 Commerce Dr. Suite 210 Cranford, NJ  07016, USA
phone 800-367-6434 x305  | anthony.mccall@hasselblad.com

TimH

I have had excellent service from the Hasselblad NJ over the years.  Earlier this year, for example they replacing the LCD on my X1Dii and a number of other parts...and a serious CLA...for a quite reasonable price and in just a few weeks.  Same for H systems previously.  I hope the move to CA doesn't degrade this resource. 
Tim

docholliday

Hmmm. I wonder if the new office will be in LA...i.e, home of DJI US.

hcubell

Very disappointing to hear, if, as I expect, the excellent team that Hasselblad had assembled in NJ is not moving en masse to CA. The quality and efficiency of the service provided out of the NJ office has been exemplary, and I know the the staff there on a first name basis.  I don't know the details, but this seems like a penny wise, pound foolish decision.

boojum

Cranford is a tank town, no wonder they are leaving.  ;o)  I grew up a short distance from Cranford.  CA is way more fun and the sun shines there.  LA is good, SF better, both are great towns.

They will probably take a cadre of techs with them and hire on the rest in CA.  I am sure Gothenburg has thought this through.
Elpis

Lenbabin

Len
Calgary, Canada,
I have wanted a Hasselblad all my life.  They can take me now!
Indian Roadmaster rider IMRG 1908

boojum

Quote from: Lenbabin on February 12, 2023, 10:15:15 AM
Just came across this which seems to tell the story pretty well.

https://petapixel.com/2023/02/08/hasselblad-has-shuttered-its-east-coast-based-operations/

Len

The article says that Hasselbald/DJI has no plans to fix what was in NJ:

"It is not clear if Hasselblad moved its employees that were based in New Jersey made the move to Burbank as well, though a source with knowledge of the situation told Diglloyd that the Burbank-based facility had 'no technicians trained to repair Hasselblad equipment and the company has no plan to take care of pro or consumer customers with equipment that is already in New Jersey for repair.'" Given that, it seems unlikely that the employees were kept on.

I am skeptical of this.  It just does not pass the smell test that Hasselblad would relocate to Burbank without repair facilities unless they plan on repair facilities elsewhere.  This is not some shabby, "off the back of the truck" operation.  The company has a good reputation and I may be silly but I am betting that DJI wants  to keep this crown jewel shiny.  We will see.
Elpis

glaiben

The former head of NJ tech is hanging out around one of the H forums - I know the service delivered in NJ, under his tenure, was top notch.  Burbank is another story - no one made the transfer.  I shipped a TC1.7 converter to Burbank for repair - has taken 6+ weeks turn around.  NJ had a _5 day_ turn-around-time.  May take Burbank a while to catch up with their expertise.

...gregg

boojum

Quote from: glaiben on February 12, 2023, 11:52:58 AM
The former head of NJ tech is hanging out around one of the H forums - I know the service delivered in NJ, under his tenure, was top notch.  Burbank is another story - no one made the transfer.  I shipped a TC1.7 converter to Burbank for repair - has taken 6+ weeks turn around.  NJ had a _5 day_ turn-around-time.  May take Burbank a while to catch up with their expertise.

...gregg

Wow!  It would be a real disappointment to see DJI drop the ball like this.  They are the majority owner so they are driving the bus.  "I don't know what corporate was thinking" is a hackneyed phrase, and for good reason.  I sure hope that DJI is not being short-sighted by cutting service to cut costs, boost stock price and screw the customers.  This is a common thing in businesses, especially when CEO's are compensated on the basis of stock price.

OTOH I have no idea what is going on.  I can only hope for the best.
Elpis

mjhillsc

I sent a body and lens to NJ as instructed and they arrived there the day Hasselblad announced the closure to those employees.  Tech equipment packing started that day and no further repair work commenced.  My equipment went to Sweden and was repaired and returned to me in 8 weeks!  8 weeks.  It could have been worse; it could have been 9 weeks.  I suspect that the Burbank facility will get up to speed and will be a good resource.  But, I don't think Hasselblad or DJI thought this transition through with the customer in mind.  We are a professional studio that relies on our gear to be working and available.  Nikon spoils us with 24 hour turnaround and loaner equipment when needed.  I don't expect Hasselblad to get there, but it would be nice to see signs that they care about their customer base a bit more than the botched NJ to Burbank move shows.  And, by the way, my out of warranty repair was $1700.  For, a known mechanical defect.  Painful experience.  As much as I love our Hasselblad gear, I can't recommend it to anyone.

boojum

What we have so far for information is rumor.  There is the instance of an eight week turnaround from shipping to and from Sweden and repairs there.  For the pros that is awful.  My experience with Canon at pro sporting events is that they fix on the spot, supply loaners and much if not all the work is gratis at the event.  I believe that Sony and Nikon are similar.  So WTF?  Putting out US$13K for a camera that takes two months for repairs is so bad I may as well have bought an M11.

Selling a wonderful camera so popular that production cannot keep up with sales and then not being able to support it in a timely manner is awful.  Awful if it is true.  A classic case of shooting oneself in the foot.

There are three types of rumors: the fear rumor, the hope rumor and the hate rumor.  Let's hope this is a fear rumor and not the truth.
Elpis

flash

All repairs in Oz go to Sweden. Always have. The US is an exception.

Gordon

boojum

Quote from: flash on February 13, 2023, 10:10:02 AM
All repairs in Oz go to Sweden. Always have. The US is an exception.

Gordon

That's not making me feel any better.  Now we get the same bad service.  Comes the revolution, MBA's, cost accountants and marketing types, up against the wall.   ;o)
Elpis

braver

Great for us in CA!  It's hard to choose which state is the world capital of technology and is a 5th largest economy on the world if it were a country, but we'll welcome NJ visitors anytime.  Also the sun is setting on the right side here, into the ocean, instead of highway malls, so you'll get immediate photo ops!