repro paintings : witch lens H for my X1D

Previous topic - Next topic

ALAIN

Yes, exact, but the only problem is that I do not understand why it works: I thought that the time of a capture of the entire surface of the sensor would be greater than the duration of the flash, and well no since I have the whole picture. Is the electronic shutter of the X1D a global shutter? If so, well done Hasselblad!

JCM-Photos

Global shutter sensors don't exist yet on FF and MF photographic gear.
Global electronic shutter would allows flash sync on all shutter speeds
Global shutter is a sensor feature, not a camera manufacturer one.

Sensor acquisition and sensor readout are two different phases of the camera cycle.
acquisition is variable and give the exposure time
readout is fixed of about 1/3 s for this Sony sensor on X1D and GFX50

With mechanical shutter, acquisition for the X1D is 1/1000s or slower (1/125s or slower for GFX50),
acoustical reminder for acquisition is the second double clic (first clic is shutting down live view),
sensor readout is the time between second double clic and third clic.
Third clic is turning on live view

With electronic shutter, my understanding is that flash is possible when your shutter expose time is greater than the fixed sensor readout time of 1/30s.
As you are not able to sync manually with 1/30s you have to choose a longer exposure time that let you fire manually correctly the flash within the exposure slot and reduce strongly ambiant light so that it does not give false exposition and or blurred pictures.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

ALAIN

ShawnK

I use XCD 120mm w/X1D for my repro work. I find it perfect for it.

Alex

Based on my experience of using HC lenses and shorter time with the newer XCD lenses, I have found some large variations in image quality between individual units, which have nothing to do with how new/old or used a lens is. For example with the HC120ii it took me 12x different units before finding one with both excellently aligned optics and resolve: where did I find it? New, no; instead in a rental house that was closing down its line of Hasselblad equipment. At that point that lens was worth more to me than what a new boxed one would cost.
As I start trying out the XCD lens range, I'm finding that although generally of a higher resolve than the HC line, there's still a good deal of variation between units.
Those that are of a lower quality can forfeit resolve or require one to further shut down the aperture further with the effects of diffraction ever looming closer.

So if for example you are having issues with your XCD90 and others are praising theirs, apart from having higher demands than others it might be that that particular lens unit is problematic and that trying out few more XCD90 units might give a better indication of whether it's your particular lens unit at fault.

FWIW; I've gone through 4x XCD120s and 3x XCD90s in the last month and there's been quite a variation between them. If you are looking to purchase a lens unit, make sure that you can return for complete refund before before touching it. If you are renting, keep a list of the serial numbers of the units that perform well.

ALAIN

Oh there! This is a point I hadn't thought about at all! Indeed, when I used a Nikon D2x and Nikon optics, it was indeed one of my preoccupations. This concern had come out of my head with the Leica R and M optics which gave me all satisfaction, except a 90mm F2 misaligned indeed! It's a bit disappointing to have to try with Hasselblad, but I carefully note this very important tip!
When you say to limit from 5 to 10 Mpx, do you mean to leave a little space around the table to avoid using the less qualitative corners? I always do this by "losing" about 10% of the sensor area.
I can't wait to test the HC120 II on my X1D ... in October I think ...
Thank you again and see you soon...
Alain

Alex

Quote from: ALAIN on September 15, 2020, 09:36:12 PM

When you say to limit from 5 to 10 Mpx, do you mean to leave a little space around the table to avoid using the less qualitative corners? I always do this by "losing" about 10% of the sensor area.

Yes with lopsided optics some corners can be very soft - requiring further stopping down to compensate (i.e. f13 instead of f5.6), and hence losing resolve

ALAIN

I see, with most of my optics, the difraction from F8 or F11. For repro, I check my images at 100% or 200% for most settings, but up to 400% for resolution (on an Eizo CS2740).
To clarify, I chose F5.6 for the Leica 100 Macro APO and I leave a large band around the board because of the vignetting of this optic not really designed for this sensor format, and F5.6 or F8 for the XCD90 with a little band around the board, but the XCD90 remains excellent even in the corners at these apertures.
I am impressed by the quality of the exchanges on this forum, which really provides useful information.
Sorry for the bad translations: I'm a real Parisian;)

ALAIN

I look at the curves of the XCD135: it's not bad at all, but for the reproduction, even if I have the hindsight, the flatness of fields and perhaps other qualities seem to make you prefer the XCD120, if I go on XCD ...

ALAIN

Another small subject which is quite annoying: Hasselblad does not seem to provide neither focal length doubler, nor macro rings, in bayonet X. What a pity!

sog1927

Quote from: ALAIN on September 15, 2020, 11:46:19 PM
Another small subject which is quite annoying: Hasselblad does not seem to provide neither focal length doubler, nor macro rings, in bayonet X. What a pity!

Third-party X-series extension tubes are available from Fotodiox. I've used them quite successfully with the XCD 120.

ALAIN

Oh ! Good news, thank you! I'm looking but it's a bit difficult from France ... Would you have the reference of these macro rings for X1D please?
Thanks in advance.
It only remains to find a converter x2 or x1.7 ... in X system ... :)

ALAIN

Ok, I found them : 2 models, 20 and 48mm reference "Auto Macro Tube for XCD" ! I research a possibility to by them in France...
I think to have good results with the XCD90...

ALAIN

Hello,
With everything I read here I tested my XCD90 at 400% :)
It has a lower resolution than that of the X1D's sensor at 2 meters, even at 5.6 but remaining homogeneous over the entire surface.
Still at 2 meters, the corners lose a lot at 3.2.
At 10 meters and 5.6 it becomes superior to the X1D sensor.
It is therefore a little softer up close (portraits) and very defined from afar (landscapes): it is therefore really very interesting, but not really made for reproducing paintings.
It is also one of the few lenses for which Hasselblad only communicates a single curve, while we often have a near curve and a far curve.
Seeing precisely the curve of the XCD90 and that of the XCD120 and HC120 II, I am hopeful of finding an optic superior to this wonderful sensor ...

SrMi

Quote from: ALAIN on September 17, 2020, 09:26:20 AM
Hello,
With everything I read here I tested my XCD90 at 400% :)
It has a lower resolution than that of the X1D's sensor at 2 meters, even at 5.6 but remaining homogeneous over the entire surface.
Still at 2 meters, the corners lose a lot at 3.2.
At 10 meters and 5.6 it becomes superior to the X1D sensor.
It is therefore a little softer up close (portraits) and very defined from afar (landscapes): it is therefore really very interesting, but not really made for reproducing paintings.
It is also one of the few lenses for which Hasselblad only communicates a single curve, while we often have a near curve and a far curve.
Seeing precisely the curve of the XCD90 and that of the XCD120 and HC120 II, I am hopeful of finding an optic superior to this wonderful sensor ...

How do you measure that a lens is "superior to the X1D sensor"?