Peli Case - Carry On

Previous topic - Next topic

pb

Good morning all,

A bit of advice required. I am relatively new to the X system. I have an X2D, 28P & 90V lens. Also still have a Leica M11 with a couple of M lenses. Accessories such as lens cleaner/wipes, filters, etc.

Can anyone advise, based on experience, or recommend the internal size I would be looking at for a carry-on hard case. I plan to have a foam insert.

Many thanks.

Paul

Frankvth

flash

Why would you want a hard case for carry on, if I may ask? I don't think you'd get that on ANY domestic flight in Oz as they're strict about the 7kg limit here. The bag would weigh more than the gear.

I'll occasionally use a hard case in the car where I can chain it to the structure. But for air travel I'd have an ultra light wheelie bag (which you can also put foam in). Personally, on a plane, I'd put all your gear in a Small Wandred backpack and have room left over.

Gordon

pb

Quote from: flash on May 20, 2024, 08:52:54 AMWhy would you want a hard case for carry on, if I may ask? I don't think you'd get that on ANY domestic flight in Oz as they're strict about the 7kg limit here. The bag would weigh more than the gear.

I'll occasionally use a hard case in the car where I can chain it to the structure. But for air travel I'd have an ultra light wheelie bag (which you can also put foam in). Personally, on a plane, I'd put all your gear in a Small Wandred backpack and have room left over.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Thanks. I mentioned it being carry-on because that is one reason I would use it for. Another, using pacsafe mesh, would be to chain it to a fastened structure when travelling.

Alas - I have not been to Oz, but my experience with carry-on is more about exceeding size restrictions not weight (although I often wonder whether this is checked by authorities with the amount of stuff people seem to get away with bringing onto the aircraft).

Cheers.

Paul

ashdown

If you take a Peli case on as hand luggage it will be scrutinised more than a normal bag. So likely to be weighed. You will be questioned if it is for professional use (for which you would need a carnet). If possible I'd put the Peli case inside another bag.

The Hasselblad X1D field kit case was based on a Peli iM2200 Storm Case which would be a good size for your requirements.

Larsb

The airlines here in Australia are getting quite strict about weight - both carry on and check-in. On my recent return from Melbourne to Sydney, they weighed all the carry on luggage at the check-in gate and had little tolerance for excess weight.  I had to pay AUD$30 to double my cary on allowance from from 7Kg to 14Kg, but did use almost every gram of the extra allowance.  Fortunately it was not that expensive, but can add up for multiple legs of travel.
Software Engineer and long time passionate Photographer

pat m

There's a case for weighing passengers. After all if one weighs 75kg and another weighs in at 85kg then I'd argue to be able to carry 10kg more!  I know, . I think Air New Zealand tried it somewhat unsuccessfully many years ago.

Soozz

Quote from: pat m on May 22, 2024, 10:59:50 PMThere's a case for weighing passengers. After all if one weighs 75kg and another weighs in at 85kg then I'd argue to be able to carry 10kg more!  I know, . I think Air New Zealand tried it somewhat unsuccessfully many years ago.

I remember that, it was a great idea but the PC police didn't like it.
Airnz never weigh carryon and if they do weigh it, it is because you got the grumpy lady who just wants to stir trouble. If I'm with someone who's dropping me off I get them to look after my carry on while I check in.
Just don't look like you're struggling to carry it and generally you'll be fine.