Best XCD lens for Portraits

Previous topic - Next topic

rollsman

I have the X1D2 and trying to decide which of these 2 lenses I can buy. I DONT shoot wide open so F2.8 and higher works for me. I usually shoot F5.6-F8 
The XCD 65 or the 90 3.5   Thanks 
Dennis mansour

alextsayun

Both of these lenses is totally fine.

SeanRL

I suggest

Headshot: XCD 3,2/90

Environmental portrait: XCD 3,5/45

The XCD 65 is a great normal focal length and if you want to mimic human field of view.

S

rollsman

Ok Thank you both for sharing this
Dennis mansour

Patrick CM

rollsman

Thank you. I am looking to get the Older Version 90mm XCD NOT V   
Dennis mansour

Iceman1331

How about the original XCD 80/f1.9? I like this lens' rendering of skin tone and blurring of the background, although it is heavier and bulker than the latest 90V.

rollsman

Its also MORE Expensive.  Main thing is I dont shoot wide open. F5.6-F8   Thank you
Dennis mansour

Giorgio

Portraits,

How much time do you have with the subject?
Environmental portrait, or studio? Can you set up light (s).

My approach is to always use everything I have in every way possible to search for that revealing moment where you can make a portrait. Mind open, eyes open, always approach the subject in as many ways as possible.

rollsman

I have the XCD 45P now. I might just wait for the XCD 90 3.2 to go down in price.  TY
Dennis mansour

tenmangu81

The XCD90 f/3.2 is one of the best XCD lenses. It suits quite well with portraits, as its FF focal equivalent is 71mm. I use it more often than 85 or 90mm FF equivalents.
Robert

polychloros

All the lenses in the XCD range are first rate lenses, limited only by the skill and imagination of the user. For portraits, concern yourself more with lighting, expression and composition before worrying about "rendering" differences between various lenses of similar focal length.

rollsman

That is so Correct. I make those my Priorities then Lens selection
Dennis mansour