How long until next body e.g. X3D?

Previous topic - Next topic

hcubell

Quote from: bcvthul on April 22, 2024, 07:00:08 AM
Quote from: xoda on April 22, 2024, 04:41:02 AM
Quote from: gavinsan on April 19, 2024, 05:33:12 AMI want an X2D II with a joystick or a nipple ;) — that's all I miss

What are the plausible features for an X2D II?

Video?

I doubt that there will be an X2DII. The X1DII used the same sensor as the X1D, but the electronics and the EVF were upgraded. The next body will likely have a new 180MP-200MP sensor, and it will therefore be an X3D. A joystick would be an obvious addition, but it was never added to the X1DII or the X2D, so the Hasselblad design team seems to feel that it is unnecessary or it would clutter up the overall design. I would expect an upgraded EVF. A port for a remote cable release would be nice. Upgraded AF capabilities like Eye AF may be added to an X3D, even though it could presumably be offered as a firmware upgrade to the X2D.
I agree there is relatively little need for 200MP, but Camera manufacturers are in the business of selling cameras, and a new sensor with double the MP is an easy differentiator, whether one needs it or not.   

JoeC

Like my friend Howard, I've been trying to predict Hasselblad's next steps since the announcement of the X1D. It's a slow and usually frustrating process. But here are my thoughts.

The main limitation of the X2D is speed. By any measure, the camera is slow. The AF is slow, the frame rate is slow, card writing is slow... In addition, there are several "features" that were unexplainably missing from the X2D even though they were present on the X1D II - remote cable release port, interface for the GPS accessory, basic video.

So my prediction is that there will be an X2D II, well before any X3D appears. Given the imminent introduction of the GFX 100S II, Hasselblad needs to make an announcement by the fall and have cameras in users hands by late 2024 - early 2025. The new camera will have:

1. A new faster processor
2. Faster AF and Eye AF (and none of the 35mm AF fluff like animal, insect, and vehicle AF)
3. Remote cable release port (allowing Hasselblad to sell the already developed and manufactured and expensive cable release)
4. Hot shoe interface for the GPS accessory (allowing Hasselblad to sell the already developed and manufactured and expensive GPS accessory)
5. AF-C that can keep up with subject movement when shooting portraits in the studio or in the field
6. Faster frame rate when shooting in continuous mode
7. Faster writing to internal memory or a card (or both)
8. Higher resolution EVF
9. Same form factor as the current X2D
10. Same price as the current X2D

The new camera won't have a joystick. As Howard said, that seems to be counter to Hasselblad's design philosophy for the X-series. Auto ISO in Manual mode also seems to be a no-no. The X2D II will use the same 100MP sensor that has become popular in crop-sensor medium format cameras. The volume of production for that sensor, chip yield, and quality control makes it the obvious choice for the new X camera. The professional customers who shoot with the X-series are likely not screaming for more megapixels. A pixel-shift solution might be in the offing for the art repro market. And the camera's new processor would struggle with more megapixels.

OK, that's enough prognostication for one day. Thanks for listening.

Joe

pdprinter

I am happy with 50Mpx so I definitely not interested in 200 but faster sensor read speed, frame rate and focus bracketing is what I am hoping for. I have no idea if stacked sensors will be developed for MF but a electronic shutter with minimal rolling shutter would make the use of adapted lenses more efficient

jwillson

Quote from: xoda on April 12, 2024, 02:43:24 AMThe last three bodies were announced in:

X1D - June 2016
X1D II - June 2019
X2D - Sept 2022

So about 3 years between launches.

It seems Sony just announced a 247 mpx medium format sensor, which according to the article, should be around 200 megapixels if cut down to a roughly 33x44 size. Does this mean a next-gen X3D-type body may be announced in around fall 2025?

I ask because I'm thinking about buying a X2D right now, and am rather reluctant to buy body a body that's already more than 1.5 years old if a new one may be coming in a little more than a year.

There is no new sensor available that would make an X3D possible, so I don't see that happening any time in the next couple of years. That leaves the possibility of an X2D II... I don't see that coming in the next year, but who knows? Personally, I would rather they put their energy and capital into lenses at this point. If they did decide to release an X2D II, I would want the following:

• Continuous AF
  • Eye Detection
  • Better/higher resolution EVF
  • Development of an ASIC to improve overall performance (license an existing chip?)

Honestly, the first two items could probably be accomplished with just firmware. I definitely don't see Hasselblad trying to make the X2D into a 'general purpose' camera to try and compete with full frame.

SrMi

My wishlist for X2D and later:
- LV highlight clipping/warning
- OVF simulation per button press to brighten the shadows (EVF is often too dark once negative EC is applied).

Ralf

I would welcome it if the firmware of the X2D was first updated to the level that Hasselblad has promised. I still miss the continuous AF.

I would also rather talk about possible and sensible firmware updates than about potential new housings. A new housing could bring faster hardware, more memory, more resolution, greater monitor mobility and other connections. All other improvements should also be possible via a firmware update on the "good old" X2D.

And yes, I agree with the previous speaker: Something should also happen in lens development. A new xcd 135 v or p, zoom lenses, longer telephoto lenses, a larger selection of wide angle lenses....

polychloros

Quote from: Ralf on April 24, 2024, 07:35:42 PMSomething should also happen in lens development. A new xcd 135 v or p, zoom lenses, longer telephoto lenses, a larger selection of wide angle lenses....

As things stand, the catalogue contains 21/f4, 28P, 30/f3.5, 38V, 45P and 45/F3.5, all falling within the traditional "wide angle" range. It's true that some of those lenses may no longer be 'in-production' but they are all available new as of today (at least in the UK) and represent a pretty decent selection by most measures.

Personally, I think Hasselblad should concentrate on improving their supply chain and have the existing lenses available for when customers want to buy them rather than introduce more lenses into the range that are "pre-order" or out of stock for 6-12 months at a time.

fcarucci

Quote from: JoeC on April 24, 2024, 02:16:59 AMLike my friend Howard, I've been trying to predict Hasselblad's next steps since the announcement of the X1D. It's a slow and usually frustrating process. But here are my thoughts.

The main limitation of the X2D is speed. By any measure, the camera is slow. The AF is slow, the frame rate is slow, card writing is slow... In addition, there are several "features" that were unexplainably missing from the X2D even though they were present on the X1D II - remote cable release port, interface for the GPS accessory, basic video.

So my prediction is that there will be an X2D II, well before any X3D appears. Given the imminent introduction of the GFX 100S II, Hasselblad needs to make an announcement by the fall and have cameras in users hands by late 2024 - early 2025. The new camera will have:

2. Faster AF and Eye AF (and none of the 35mm AF fluff like animal, insect, and vehicle AF)
3. Remote cable release port (allowing Hasselblad to sell the already developed and manufactured and expensive cable release)
4. Hot shoe interface for the GPS accessory (allowing Hasselblad to sell the already developed and manufactured and expensive GPS accessory)
5. AF-C that can keep up with subject movement when shooting portraits in the studio or in the field
8. Higher resolution EVF

The new camera won't have a joystick. As Howard said, that seems to be counter to Hasselblad's design philosophy for the X-series. Auto ISO in Manual mode also seems to be a no-no. The X2D II will use the same 100MP sensor that has become popular in crop-sensor medium format cameras. The volume of production for that sensor, chip yield, and quality control makes it the obvious choice for the new X camera. The professional customers who shoot with the X-series are likely not screaming for more megapixels. A pixel-shift solution might be in the offing for the art repro market. And the camera's new processor would struggle with more megapixels.

Joe

Joe, I tend to disagree with most of the list for this specific camera. If I were on the engineering team, I wouldn't spend limited engineering resources on most of the items. For example, there are variable alternatives that are pretty automatic to attach GPS metadata to images. Cable release can be very easily replaced by using the phone app in most situations. This is not a camera for rapid shooting and writing to the internal SSD is plenty fast.
On the other end, continuous focusing and Eye AF are essential and can not be replaced with something equivalent, so I agree on those points.

hcubell

The EVF on the X2D is perfectly fine, except when it comes to manual focus in LV. It's just not as crisp as the lower spec EVF on the first gen X1D. With the X1D, it was very easy to hit the exact point of focus as you moved the focus ring ring of the lens in LV. The X1DII had a 3.69m dot EVF compared to the 2.4m EVF on the original X1D. The EVF on the X2D has a 5.76m dot EVF, but I find it's still not as good for critical manual focus in LV.

JoeC

Quote from: fcarucci on April 25, 2024, 03:05:45 AM
Quote from: JoeC on April 24, 2024, 02:16:59 AMLike my friend Howard, I've been trying to predict Hasselblad's next steps since the announcement of the X1D. It's a slow and usually frustrating process. But here are my thoughts.

8. Higher resolution EVF

Joe

Joe, I tend to disagree with most of the list for this specific camera. If I were on the engineering team, I wouldn't spend limited engineering resources on most of the items. For example, there are variable alternatives that are pretty automatic to attach GPS metadata to images. Cable release can be very easily replaced by using the phone app in most situations. This is not a camera for rapid shooting and writing to the internal SSD is plenty fast.
On the other end, continuous focusing and Eye AF are essential and can not be replaced with something equivalent, so I agree on those points.

I don't think they have to spend a lot of engineering time on features that were already developed for the X1D and X1D II. I'm guessing that the main reason for omitting some features from the X2D is processing power. Processing 100MP files proved to be more difficult, and processor-intensive, than originally envisioned.

I disagree that the smartphone app is an easy and acceptable replacement for a wired cable release. Evidently Hasselblad did too since they added one to their X product line (but no port on the X2D). And while there are alternatives for geotagging, Hasselblad has already developed an X-series accessory and firmware for that purpose, so not much additional engineering is necessary. BTW, my engineering background is a blessing and a curse.  :)

Where engineering is necessary is speeding the camera up. AF functions are behind the curve. Working pros, especially studio, event, and portrait photographers want Eye AF, AF-C, and faster AF in general. I'm guessing that the bottleneck for adding those features/functions is the processor.

The X-series is being attacked from two directions - Fuji 100MP medium format and 61MP 35mm full-frame. If Hasselblad doesn't act in the next 6-9 months, the only X shooters left will be us diehards on this forum.  :(

Joe

Paul2660

I would be happy if Hasselblad would just update the firmware on the existing X2D to allow use of the wheels to move around an image when viewed at 100% instead of having to constantly use the LCD and touch. This is available for Live View but not image review. At least I have not figured out a way.

Also fix the bugs in focus peaking. Which do cause some issues in the field.

Paul

fcarucci

Quote from: JoeC on April 26, 2024, 04:45:54 AM
Quote from: fcarucci on April 25, 2024, 03:05:45 AM

8. Higher resolution EVF

Joe

I don't think they have to spend a lot of engineering time on features that were already developed for the X1D and X1D II. I'm guessing that the main reason for omitting some features from the X2D is processing power. Processing 100MP files proved to be more difficult, and processor-intensive, than originally envisioned.

I disagree that the smartphone app is an easy and acceptable replacement for a wired cable release. Evidently Hasselblad did too since they added one to their X product line (but no port on the X2D). And while there are alternatives for geotagging, Hasselblad has already developed an X-series accessory and firmware for that purpose, so not much additional engineering is necessary. BTW, my engineering background is a blessing and a curse.  :)

Where engineering is necessary is speeding the camera up. AF functions are behind the curve. Working pros, especially studio, event, and portrait photographers want Eye AF, AF-C, and faster AF in general. I'm guessing that the bottleneck for adding those features/functions is the processor.

The X-series is being attacked from two directions - Fuji 100MP medium format and 61MP 35mm full-frame. If Hasselblad doesn't act in the next 6-9 months, the only X shooters left will be us diehards on this forum.  :(

Joe

I'm also a software engineer and I can attest to the fact that even adapting code from one platform to another takes significant engineering time. If you need blazing fast AF-C for your work, this is simply not the tool for your job. If you need outstanding IQ, and you can work within the limits of the tool, this is the tool for your job.

That said, Eye-AF is essential.