Viewfinder w/ Off-Camera Flash - no “ease of viewing” setting. Available?

Previous topic - Next topic

misterwatson

New to the 907f CFV 100C and to the forum.  I've tried off-camera flash using Nikon products/trigger, with some success. EXCEpT when shooting in studio where ambient light is low.  When shooting, viewfinder displays nothing [as I'm frequently at ISO 64;F/8; 1/500].  And AF OR MF are effectively unavailable, as sensor isn't seeing anything.

On my Nikon Z9, I have a menu choice of "ease of viewing" — which allows for focus and viewfinder, as if open wider, and "Show effects of settings," which of course is dark when at similar ISO 64; f/8;Shutter 1/250.

Since I'm unable to shoot at all (can't obtain focus or even see subject), I'm assuming that I haven't correctly set menu.  I have True Exposure set to "off," as the camera instructs ["when flash is main source"], I have tried with "Display" set on and off and I'm of course using the mechanical shutter.  Does anyone have any advice; the manual seems to answer, but when following its instructions, I'm left with a lovely camera that [until I figure out my mistakes] I can't use in studio.   Thanks in advance.

glaiben

See p99 of the manual.  You should able to see the Live View screen if you disable Exposure Simulation in Manual Mode.

misterwatson

Thank you for your quick response.  Unfortunately, I walked through pp. 99-100 and went step by step.*  I was unsuccessful.  BUT it sure won't hurt to try again.  Again — thank you.

*I thought that my best bet was to search the word "flash" in the .pdf and follow along as is it were a mystery — which it is.

glaiben

That's odd.  I would try to duplicate it, but I sold all my XCD lenses and use the back only now on a tech cam.  I do recall some difficulty syncing the Profoto Air remote with the X2D, but the LV viewfinder was fine.  Good luck.  It should work - hopefully someone else will jump in.

Hendrix_CI

Quote from: misterwatson on March 29, 2024, 01:17:02 PMThank you for your quick response.  Unfortunately, I walked through pp. 99-100 and went step by step.*  I was unsuccessful.  BUT it sure won't hurt to try again.  Again — thank you.

*I thought that my best bet was to search the word "flash" in the .pdf and follow along as is it were a mystery — which it is.

If you're shooting tethered with Phocus, then look to the bottom right of your computer screen when engaged in live view, and make sure the capital letter A is highlighted red. This disables exposure simulation, essentially creating auto gain, regardless of what your exposure settings are.

Steve Hendrix/CI