Problems with Focus Peaking on X2D

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul2660

I have identified some problems with the Focus Peaking on my X2D and wanted to see if anyone else has noticed these issues. I always use the greatest amount of peaking, and have used all the various colors.
My setup is to use the AF-On feature, which allows me to stay in Manual Focus but use AF with the use of the AF-D button.  The reason for this, is often times I am shooting a panorama with a varying level of sky and I do not want the camera to have to attempt to gain focus on each segment, as this takes more time and you have the problem where the camera may miss AF.  I lock on focus with the AF-ON and then shoot the entire sequence. 

Peaking is a benefit during this as there are times I need to zoom to 100% and make sure on the focus.

What I have noticed is that about 80% of the time, when I move to the next segment, the peaking from the previous shot stays on the screen, like etching.  There is no way to remove this until you fire the camera again or move to playback.  This clears the etching, however now peaking is totally gone from the screen.  You have go back to the focus icon and en-enable it.  Then it works again until the image is etched on the screen again, and the entire process has to start again.  This happens if you are using the EVF or the LCD. 

I am not going to send the camera in for this as the time it takes for a repair in inordinately long and I have a work around.  Hoping that firmware update might resolve this.  I will open a question with Hasselblad also.

Paul C

Patrick CM

I could not replicate this on my X2D with the XCD 55V switching to MF usage the front button (default) I found it focus peaked as expected when using the AF-D and manual focus ring. changing position the peak colour did not persist in the rear screen nor the EVF.

Have you tried a reset?

Paul2660

No, but I will try that.

So far it happens on every XCD lens I have used. 35-75, 135mm and 30mm.

Paul

MGrayson

I have had this happen to me three or four times in the 15 months I've owned the X2D.  More often, the peaking just cuts out and I have to reset it. Cycling power or dropping the battery also works. If it gets worse, then resetting and, as a last resort, reinstalling the firmware are options.

Paul2660

The reset fixed it for now. The problem did seem to grow over time to the point it was happening on every shot yesterday.   

Curious also, am I the only person that would like "white" as an option for peaking.  Testing all of the color options I find that cyan and magenta seem to show the best. But would still like green or white.

Thanks for the help to both of you.

Paul

sc_john

Paul,    I am experiencing the same problem, but with slightly different settings. My X2D is set to manual focus, and I use AF-D button for back-button focus. I have seen this problem with XCD45P, HC80/2.8 (w/ XH adapter), Mitakon 65mm/1.4 (XCD mount}, and Leica R 35-70/4 with Leica and Novoflex adapters. I have been in discussion with Hasselblad support for 2-3 days, and they do not have cause or solution in mind. I have tried recalibrating the sensor and downgrading the firmware without impact. Hasselblad states next step is sending camera in for examination. Not ready to do that yet.

John

Paul2660

It pretty much is a broken system. Mine started to etch and then totally fail again after about 29 shots this morning.

A reset fixes it for about 20 frames then process starts again. Problem with a constant reset is all other saved setting are gone.

For me it's a big deal as I shoot a lot of hand held panos. Once the peaking freezes on the screen and won't clear it disrupts my shooting flow. On a tripod I can clear it by hitting play then going back to shooting mode. Hand held this is not an option as you will screw up the flow of the images.

Once peaking totally fails you have go back through the menus and hit focus peaking again.

This morning I lost count on the times it failed at least 25 times.

Note I am mainly using exposure bracketing (3) shots per segment. I have not tried to see if I'm single shot mode the same thing occurs.

Strange that Hasselblad can't re-create the issue as I hoped a firmware update would fix this. (Bug fix).

Paul

sc_john

Seems you have a broader problem than me. I have not had focus peaking totally fail. Any objection if I call this thread to attention of Hasselblad service tech I am working with. I think it would be good for Hassy to know that I am not an isolated case.

John

Paul2660

Please forward to Hasselblad. I am going to email them tomorrow about it.

Paul